Antidepressant stopped working?

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

I'm wondering if it's possible for an antidepressant to stop working?

I've been on citalopram for nearly 9 years and in the last year or so, my depression has got worse, even though i'm doing more than ever in terms of exercise and activity.

Just fighting so hard every day and nothing seems to be feeling any better.

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

I'm wondering if it's possible for an antidepressant to stop working?

I've been on citalopram for nearly 9 years and in the last year or so, my depression has got worse, even though i'm doing more than ever in terms of exercise and activity.

Just fighting so hard every day and nothing seems to be feeling any better.
Hi,
The body can get used to the dose, your dr might up your meds if your not on the max dose.
I'm sorry to hear your getting worse, have you ever tried any talking therapies?
Hope you feel better soon.
Take care

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Hi,
The body can get used to the dose, your dr might up your meds if your not on the max dose.
I'm sorry to hear your getting worse, have you ever tried any talking therapies?
Hope you feel better soon.
Take care
Thanks for your reply.
I'm on the maximum dose and have been for years.
I do see a counsellor once a week but it's hard. I did try some talking therapies through the mental health services but never found it helpful. In fact, some of the therapists I saw said some very inappropriate things. :unsure:
It may be that switching meds might help. I'll try and get hold of the doctor tomorrow and see what she says.

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

yes they can stop working
i remember my cpn saying years ago you get so used to it you can't tell if it is working anymore
i hope you manage to get hold of the doctor and you manage to change medication
let us know how you get on
love Lu xx

M

Memphis182

Hi. Sorry to hear that you are struggling right now. 😔. I always hear alot of mixed posts on whether your antidepressants can stop working and never really sure what to believe. Here's my honest opinion x I do feel like this can happen with citalopram (not sure with other meds) I was started out on 10mg. 2 years later I had a breakdown and was upped to 20mg they seemed to work a lot better but recently had the same issue so was upped to 30mg recently. These worked for about 3 months and now I'm back to square one again. It's hard to tell of you are having a blip or wether they have stopped working. The only thing for sure is that if it's the meds not working or just a blip Its horrible isn't it. Make the descision to either wait it out and see if it's a blip or maybe change your meds witch I'm sure is pretty scary x I wish you all the best and hope you have a great recovery x