• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Antidepressant discontinuation after long time no response

S

savehope

Dear all,

it is almost 4 years now that my mother is diagnosed with recurrent depressive disorder. She has been treated many times with several antidepressants (SSRI, MAOI....). Last medication was a MAOI (Jatrosom) which helped her at the beginning but then it got worse again.

She is refusing the electroconvulsive therapy.

I'm thinking about discontinuation of antidepressants, since they won't help her anyway. There are two options:

1. After discontinuation, it will get worse or stay same and after a (maybe long) period she will come to herself.

2. It will get much much worse and the possibility of remission will decline.

What do you think?

Thanks

Kian

D

Deleted member 91323

In my opinion, I would not stop antidepressants. If none she has tried have made any difference at all then I would try another first. There are tons to try. It took me years to find one that suited me. If she ever does decide to stop the antidepressants then it has to be done under medical advice. It is dangerous to just stop them.

I am very sorry your mother is finding her depression persisting.

J

JCPraha

The truth is, no one knows what will happen if she stops the antidepressants. I would stop them and see what happens. Clearly they are not helping much anyway. Maybe try a different one later if her problems persist. Many people are not responsive to antidepressants. They helped me for a long time and then stopped working and I have tried most of them. Maybe try something other than a SSRI, like buproprion, or try an SNRI like Effexor or Cymbalta.

S

savehope

Most all of the antidepressants have side effects like Restlessness, Anxiety or even Thoughts of suicide. It might be that at some point if they don't help the make it worse.

J

JCPraha

That could be true. Antidepressants effect each person differently. Yes, they all have side effects and if they don't help, it would make sense to discontinue, IMO.

B

Black Despondency

There are several medications that work very well together in combination. Adding a low dose atypical antipsychotics to an antidepressant can very effective. Also certain mood stabilizers can have a positive effect on depression. Combining two or three medications can be very helpful for treatment resistant mood disorders. Taking a MAOI is precise as a nuclear bomb so it's pretty similar to taking a combination of medications that are already prepackaged and not customizable. Quetiapine an atypical antipsychotic that has been approved for combining with antidepressants for treatment resistant depression. Quetiapine was the first medication that help significantly reduce my thoughts of suicide.

Capt Hooke

Capt Hooke

There are several medications that work very well together in combination.
The use of a "cocktail" of drugs seems to be common practice in the US, but seems much less common in the UK and I don't know about Germany.

Sadly, quite a lot of us seem to experience benefits from anti-depressants which just don't endure, hence the term "treatment resistant depression".

Re ECT, I've had depression for a long time but I've always stayed away from ECT, but some people do seems to benefit from it and it is still widely used in the UK.

B

Black Despondency

The use of a "cocktail" of drugs seems to be common practice in the US, but seems much less common in the UK and I don't know about Germany.

Sadly, quite a lot of us seem to experience benefits from anti-depressants which just don't endure, hence the term "treatment resistant depression".

Re ECT, I've had depression for a long time but I've always stayed away from ECT, but some people do seems to benefit from it and it is still widely used in the UK.
There are several 2 medication combination that work very well. Three medications is definitely on the medication cocktail side, but many of the newer medications target much more specific locations than some of the older ones. When multiple medications are prescribed it is common that lower dosages can be used. More medications doesn't actually necessarily mean more side effects, for example if an antidepressant works well except it's too stimulating another medication can reduce that and even help in the overall effectiveness. I think psychiatric medications are over prescribed and that piling on more isn't a good first choice, but running to the end of the antidepressant category without trying to add a second augmentative medication can be a poor choice of treatment.

J

JCPraha

I have been trying Quietapine with an antidepressant, but nothing seems to work so well for me. I had ECT and it did not seem to help much either. I have no idea what to do now.