Anticipatory Anxiety - the build up to 'an event'

S

Sm3392

Hi guys. My first post here. Really would love to hear you guys stories If you're like me.

Basically, for many years now (I am 24) I have always had a sense of impending angst about me If something is coming up. It can range from anything like a job interview (which I feel is common and acceptable) to doing nice things like days out, holidays..being somewhat far from home.

I don't go out very much or very far. When I do, it's usually somewhere like the cinema or a day trip into London which is only 2-3 times a year (I live outer London, not central). Sometimes the night before an event I'll be tossing and turning feeling generally anxious.

To top it off, I suffer emetophobia (fear of vomiting). I have had this all my life. I really do not recall a bad experience as a child that even triggered it. All I know is I've always been scared of vomiting. Scarily enough, this January I went into London for the day and the next day I felt very nauseous and vomited 2-3 times. I believe I had picked up a stomach bug due to that time of year. Since January my anxiety has been through the roof.

Anyway, next Sunday is my birthday and on Saturday I am going to London to do general 'fun' things and in the evening see a show. We are then going to stay over in a hotel as my birthday is actually the Sunday. A weekend away basically.

However, and I'm sure you can relate to this, I will not be calm and content until I am back home. It's such a sad reality because my friends are really looking forward to it, and I'm not. Yet it's my birthday treat essentially. I keep thinking the worst etc.

But this part right here is what is distressing me. The build up. It comes in waves. I am just so fed up and aggravated by it. I have tried to change my outlook and depending on my mood It can change. But ultimately ends up the same.

Sorry for the long post!

N

novasol

I have GAD, and have the exact same. It might be a mix of social anxiety and fear of not feeling good when an event is happening. When meeting with friends or family, or any appointment at all, I would feel extra anxious the day (or sometimes even 2 days) before. But exposing yourself to these situations helped me. No matter how awful I felt, I would try go to these appointments. I would wait until the fear would subside, and then leave. I still feel anxious about certain events, but it not nearly as bad as before, where I would feel anxious when a good friend would come visit for a cup of tea.

S

StazzCastle

Hi there,
I am new to this forum and your post is a breath of fresh air to me as I feel exactly the same.
I am 23 and also have anxiety and emetophobia.
If I have an event coming up (or even something as little as knowing I have to go to the doctors the next day) I feel intense anxiety the day before and can't sleep. It makes me feel so si** that I can't eat and then get into a vicious cycle of feeling si** and needing to eat but can't.
I dread doing anything fun or going out even though I really want to go, just because I worry about how I am going to feel. I nearly didn't go on holiday last year because I felt so scared of feeling ill on the plane or in a foreign country but I only went because I would have felt terrible on my partner for letting him down.

The only way I can force myself to sometimes do things is to think of how much I might be letting the other people down. But now I rarely make plans so that I don't have to cancel them.

Although I can't give an answer on how to deal with this as I still don't know, I hope my reply can give you some comfort that you aren't alone in feeling like this! Especially being around the same age. I see so many people doing things that I would love to be doing - and things that I have done in the past - but feel that it would be impossible now!

All the best !

T

THM86

I think the problem with anxiety is it convinces you that you dont want to be doing these things and that, and that you would rather be in bed, while that may be the case in some instances quite often its not.

The one thing I have found that helps is to capture a moment when I am out, and really pleased I am out, and try and replay it and tell myself this is a likely out come of going out today.

Or perhaps argue against the anxiety, I dont want to go out to dinner, tonight. - But I dont think thats true, I like mexican food, the place we are going to tonight does good Mexican food, I like the friends I am meeting, they are good interesting people, and seeing them might take my mind off the problems.

R

RylanS

I have lost so many opportunities due to GAD.