• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Anti-Stigma Campaign

W

Windblows

Founding Member
http://www.movingpeople.org.uk/

The above link should take you to the lastest survey being conducted online aiming to reduce discrimination against people with any mental illness.

:grouphug:

It can't hurt to try.

Does anyone have any examples of discrimination against them that they want to discus here?

I feel that few people among my community actually know that I have experienced mental illness. When I was young and fresh out of the 'loony bin' other young people sometimes ridiculed me just a little. Getting work has probably been the biggest hurdle because I know my limits yet still have need for a challenge, but would-be employers see it as a risk to take on someone who might not cope with stress or has no paid experience.

midnight

midnight

Founding Member
Getting work has probably been the biggest hurdle because I know my limits yet still have need for a challenge, but would-be employers see it as a risk to take on someone who might not cope with stress or has no paid experience

I've been lucky with my employer but I think they are quite forward thinking. I can beleive it will be difficult for some getting a job although in theory the new Disability Discrimination Act that has been brought in makes it unlawful to reject an application based on mental health issues. But then again its illegal not to offer a job based on age and I am sure that it still goes on they just find a different excuse not to hire

sandybob

sandybob

Founding Member
I think theres a very "pull yer socks up" attitude from society in general .. and in my experience, often from the very people that are supposed to be there to help :unsure:

W

Windblows

Founding Member
Preparation is everything

The DDA has been updated but I think it is easy to legislate for good practice but it all comes down to the attitudes of the people in positions of responsiblity. They have to be well aware of DDA but only use that knowledge to avoid claims of discrimination.
It is very hard to prove that your application has been rejected on health grounds because you will be selected for interview if you have the skills on paper. They will also select candidates that do not have such disabilities who also have more experience so the choice is clear. How then do you get the experience?
I have done lots of voluntary work and it did not seem to help but now I am studying for higher qualifications with Open University. It takes a long time but I can also continue the voluntary work and other things meantime.
It must be like being told you are not trying enough when you hear "pull yer socks up" attitude (from society in general) but I have not come across that too much and I know I am trying. I also know it would be detrimental to try too much.:rolleyes:

W

Windblows

Founding Member
Mischeif asks "what are you studying?"
I am studying Health and Social care. I am a third of the way through BA hons, and after this year should be half way!!
K100 is the introductory course for several routes and counts 60 points towards the 360 needed at level one, it covered a wide background of information including institutional care and i'd recommend it. Last year i did two 30 point units both on Mental health and would not recommend that - one is enough!!
This year I am doing Perpectives on Complimentary and Alternative medicine (30 points) and Death and Dying (30 points) - yes everyone askes why do you want to study death and dying? Well its important that we all understand how to cope with a bearevement whether coping with our own or to offer understanding to another needing support after the death od a loved one. It is all part of the cycle of life but too many people nevber want to face up to it. No need to be :scared:
Sorry I got carried away there - more than you were asking to hear I guess!!

So where were we on the anti stigma campaign?

ralph1

ralph1

Founding Member
If you want to see a bad case of sigma and discrimination, look at the Plymouth Forum. This is a Church. :eek:

W

Windblows

Founding Member
Yes, I have just been reading that. Like someone said prejudice can be rife anywhere but you would think a vicar would know better.
It is good that the so many church members did not choose to follow his lead.
A church is the people it contains and non are perfect.:p

The church leader in that example is the one who ought bow his head in shame but at least this episode helps to illustrate the prejudice and expose it.

T

THE_PRESIDENT

I would be interested in getting adeas to do some health promotion on stigma and its impact and helping people with mental health.

S

smokinghorse

The DDA has been updated but I think it is easy to legislate for good practice but it all comes down to the attitudes of the people in positions of responsiblity. They have to be well aware of DDA but only use that knowledge to avoid claims of discrimination.
It is very hard to prove that your application has been rejected on health grounds because you will be selected for interview if you have the skills on paper. They will also select candidates that do not have such disabilities who also have more experience so the choice is clear. How then do you get the experience?
I have done lots of voluntary work and it did not seem to help but now I am studying for higher qualifications with Open University. It takes a long time but I can also continue the voluntary work and other things meantime.
It must be like being told you are not trying enough when you hear "pull yer socks up" attitude (from society in general) but I have not come across that too much and I know I am trying. I also know it would be detrimental to try too much.:rolleyes:
I used to work as a team leader for local government and HR would use red pen to mark on each form things like fits speeding fine ect also sat on interview and saw how they where fixed no you prove that you where treated fairly ???