• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Anti pyschotics

H

Habs

Has anyone had experiences of stopping anti pyschotics, how long does it take for symptoms to return and is it possible to stay symptom free?

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
That's a really tough question and there's no 'one size fits all' answer to it, everybody is different.

I've known people to be on anti-psychotics for a year only to come off then relapse a few months later.

But other times I've known people to come off them after six months and be perfectly fine after that.

It's the same with the effects, for me they only reduce the volume of my voice by around 95% letting me focus and concentrate better but for a lucky few their voices stop completely. Some unlucky people don't notice any effect at all.

May I ask what symptoms you had and for how long before you started taking anti-psychotics and what effect they had on those symptoms?

H

Habs

That's a really tough question and there's no 'one size fits all' answer to it, everybody is different.

I've known people to be on anti-psychotics for a year only to come off then relapse a few months later.

But other times I've known people to come off them after six months and be perfectly fine after that.

It's the same with the effects, for me they only reduce the volume of my voice by around 95% letting me focus and concentrate better but for a lucky few their voices stop completely. Some unlucky people don't notice any effect at all.

May I ask what symptoms you had and for how long before you started taking anti-psychotics and what effect they had on those symptoms?
Hi thanks for replying, I am asking for a loved one who hasn’t yet accepted he is ill! The symptoms were extreme paranoia, strange behaviour, anxiety and paranoid delusions that have completely ruined lives!
He has been on meds for about 6 weeks and seems stable now without any paranoia. But I know he plans to stop very soon and keeps it very much to himself having instructed his mental health team to not have any communication with his family! So, we are in the dark and worried about symptoms coming back and what to look out for, will it be a gradual start of pyschosis all over again or will he be okay without meds? Any advice would be grateful, thank you!

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
I'm not a doctor but six weeks is just long enough for the meds to start fully working so coming off them now may be a bad idea, he needs time to process the experience, learn from it and accept it which takes different amounts of time for each person and could take therapy to help him to do that. I have 10 sessions of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) to assist me and I also made a Wellness Recovery Action Plan (WRAP) to help me identify any relapse and what to do if my mental health started slipping back into psychosis.

Denying that he was ever ill isn't a good sign.

Even with my awareness I'm too scared to come off my meds in fear that I'll have a third episode, I recovered from my first all on my own when I went into hospital for 9 days but for my second episode I needed meds. Plus I still have a voice in my head saying "one day, one day!" meaning he'll get revenge for me medicating him. I've been on meds for just over 3 years and 8 months.

H

Habs

I'm not a doctor but six weeks is just long enough for the meds to start fully working so coming off them now may be a bad idea, he needs time to process the experience, learn from it and accept it which takes different amounts of time for each person and could take therapy to help him to do that. I have 10 sessions of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) to assist me and I also made a Wellness Recovery Action Plan (WRAP) to help me identify any relapse and what to do if my mental health started slipping back into psychosis.

Denying that he was ever ill isn't a good sign.

Even with my awareness I'm too scared to come off my meds in fear that I'll have a third episode, I recovered from my first all on my own when I went into hospital for 9 days but for my second episode I needed meds. Plus I still have a voice in my head saying "one day, one day!" meaning he'll get revenge for me medicating him. I've been on meds for just over 3 years and 8 months.
Thank you your advice, it’s a massive struggle and I am so worried as he seems fine at the moment but things have been so bad! I am his partner and we have young children but due to all this we have had to live apart due to his paranoid delusions! At the moment he seems okay and wants us to live together again but I know he plans on coming off meds so am worried sick as he won’t tell anyone when he plans to do this as he is so secretive. This has had a massive impact on our lives and and although I still love him I don’t want to put my children through anymore heartache!

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
I understand that protecting your children is your number one priority, rightly so.

I wouldn't let him back in if he intends to stop his meds so soon, paranoid delusions are the worst kind as you've probably seen, I don't know the nature of his but mine were terrible.

I'd get him to stay on meds and do CBT (which sometimes has a 6 month waiting list) and then reassess the situation but that's just me.

I'd also wait for some more replies that either agree with my plan or can advise you with better options.

Zero One

Zero One

Hi thanks for replying, I am asking for a loved one who hasn’t yet accepted he is ill! The symptoms were extreme paranoia, strange behaviour, anxiety and paranoid delusions that have completely ruined lives!
He has been on meds for about 6 weeks and seems stable now without any paranoia. But I know he plans to stop very soon and keeps it very much to himself having instructed his mental health team to not have any communication with his family! So, we are in the dark and worried about symptoms coming back and what to look out for, will it be a gradual start of pyschosis all over again or will he be okay without meds? Any advice would be grateful, thank you!
Hello Habs, I am schizoaffective which is schizophrenia plus a mood disorder. The closest I came to being stabilized was in the hospital and that was with two antipsychotics. They put me down to one and when I came out I got the "same" medicine but it was not exactly the same and the symptoms came back in a day. I have been tried and taken off of different anti-psychotics and the effect of the drug usually comes off for the most part after one to two days.

L

linus

One might need up to 16 weeks to have their positive symptoms reduced, with my son we had to wait 12 for him to get to a better state of mind.

Passionflower

Passionflower

For me ,I took one month for symptoms to return after stopping antipsychotics. My symptoms were worse than ever so I wont be stopping them again.

L

Lab rat

I’ve been on the meds nigh on 30 years. If I stop (and I do from time to time) I go off the deep end anything from a few weeks to a few months later. Then I end up with even more meds. It’s not worth it, but that’s my opinion and we’re all adults

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
You have some good replies here about the dangers of coming off of meds, sometimes only by coming off them and by relapsing do we truly understand why we need them. I wish anti-psychotics were a quick cure but at best they treat the symptoms and often need to be taken for extended periods of time.

If your partner is to come off them better he come off them in a safer environment rather than around you or your children. He also needs to be honest with you about his use of meds so you can make the best decision for you and your family.

I really hope he'll be one of the lucky ones and be able to come off them safely but perhaps I've been on the forums too long and read too many scare stories of relapses to be overly optimistic.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i'd question the idea of on med cure pushed by some drs, it's not in any way a running on all cylinders fit for work cure, maybe trying to come off drugs before dependency on them has built up may be an idea though that doesn't mean i expect people to suceed

the nhs has one aim to get people into a state were it doesn't have to spend it's limited resources on them, that may not be what the public would define as cure

Passionflower

Passionflower

I came off my meds and went back on them after getting psychotic, but meds never seemed to work for me again. Previously Olanzapine worked well, but after it didn't touch the psychosis at all and no meds have worked either.So I am in a bad position because I stopped antipsychotics.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i never have said come off meds but i'd urge caution about listening to doctors and theit claim off a on med recovery, i've been on meds 40 yrs and have never seen it though maybe on occassion drs have claimed it

K

karl7

Has anyone had experiences of stopping anti pyschotics, how long does it take for symptoms to return and is it possible to stay symptom free?
stopping anti psychotics is bad news.....anytime ive done it my menatl health has deteriorated