• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Anti-psychotic affecting my cognition

U

Underdog21

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone is on a high dose of Risperidone or any other anti-psychotic. My psychiatrist recently increased my anti-psychotic because I suffered from low mood and suicidal thoughts. I am also on Lithium. Have you experienced any decline in your cognition? I feel like these days I struggle to generate thoughts or formulate ideas especially when I read something. I finished university 2 years ago and I used to love studying and writting papers, now I can barely read a paragraph. Any thoughts and experiences would be appreciated.

Wishbone

Wishbone

The trouble with this is that without taking part in studies yourself, or reading up on lots of existing ones, it's difficult to know if it's one particular medication doing it, medications combined, or the development of the illness.
My own ability to concentrate or to recall information has definitely suffered in recent years, but I lean more towards the illness being the cause because this problem predates my existing medication(s). The only other option I can think of is a prior medication doing some damage that became more apparent over time.

U

Underdog21

The trouble with this is that without taking part in studies yourself, or reading up on lots of existing ones, it's difficult to know if it's one particular medication doing it, medications combined, or the development of the illness.
My own ability to concentrate or to recall information has definitely suffered in recent years, but I lean more towards the illness being the cause because this problem predates my existing medication(s). The only other option I can think of is a prior medication doing some damage that became more apparent over time.
Hi Wishbone,

I didn't realize having a bipolar illness or the affective component of whatever illness I might have causes a decline in cognitive functioning. For some reason I thought Schizophrenia causes a decline in cognition since it's a thought disorder unlike Bipolar which is a mood.

Wishbone

Wishbone

Hold that thought, I need to look into my own comment there!

Wishbone

Wishbone

"Overall, approximately 40% to 60% of patients with BD exhibit neurocognitive impairment, with a large heterogeneity among them."

So as we'd maybe expect, the different presentations of Bipolar (and other factors in addition to it) can influence what impact it has on cognitive functioning. But it doesn't mean it will have an impact, it just might.

Wishbone

Wishbone

And for Lithium:

"A meta‐analysis that included 12 studies and 539 participants found that lithium is associated with small but significant deficits in immediate verbal learning, memory, and creativity. The meta‐analysis did not detect impairment in delayed verbal memory, visual memory, attention, executive function, processing speed, or psychomotor performance.56 In a carefully ascertained sample of patients with lithium‐responsive BD compared to patients with comparable illness burden but minimal lifetime exposure to lithium, lithium‐treated patients had longer reaction times on a measure of early information processing.57 The groups did not differ notably on measures of verbal learning and memory."