• Safety Notice: This section on Psychiatric Drugs/Medications enables people to share their personal experiences of using such drugs/medications. Always seek the advice of your doctor, psychiatrist or other qualified health professional before making any changes to your medications or with any questions you may have regarding drugs/medications. In considering coming off psychiatric drugs it is very important that you are aware that most psychiatric drugs can cause withdrawal reactions, sometimes including life-threatening emotional and physical withdrawal problems. In short, it is not only dangerous to start taking psychiatric drugs, it can also be dangerous to stop them. Withdrawal from psychiatric drugs should only be done carefully under experienced clinical supervision.

Anti depressants

D

Dollit

Sorry, I sometimes go into automatic and that was one of them. Well at least it made you smile!

intelgal

intelgal

Founding Member
Medications can do strange things.... as a Nurse I have seen one medication that gave a someone the severest hicups I have ever seen it was funny (though not for them obvioulsly)they nearly fell out of bed everytime :LOL:

A

AlienGirl

Citalopram side effects better than naloxone ones!

I've been on Citalopram for about 4yrs. I didn't think it helped and I've been trying to get off it for the past year (although the withdrawal side effects were pretty awful).

Within a couple of weeks of coming off them, I took an OD of morphine (prescribed to me for post-surgical neuropathic pain). It's my first ever OD and I took 600mg - twice the standard OD medically quoted on the web (I checked in advance).

It was pre-meditated and I wanted to end the mental and physical pain - I'd had enough. Unfortunately for me, I've built up a resilience to the drug over the past year and was still alive (albeit in a coma) 16hrs after I took the OD when my sis found me.

I'm now back on Citalopram and I can say that, whether it works or not, it is far more pleasant that 3 days on naloxone counteracting the morphine in my system.

I have no idea if the Citalopram actually helps or if the timing was just a coincidence... but I'm guessing I'll never get the chance to come off it again to find out!

N

nevaeh

I am on venlafaxine xr which has been increased this week to 225mg.
Previously I was on a high dose of citalopram 60mg and relapsed badly on this.
The next one the psy wants to try if this higher dose of venlafaxine doesn't work in 6 weeks or so is ciprimil which sounds very much like citalopram to me.
What ads have other people found works for them?
Hi KP

im currently taking fluoxetine 20mg in the mornings of late and I must say I am beginning to feel remarkably different. Hope this helps and hope it lasts too!:clap:

honeyquince

honeyquince

Founding Member
Excellent news (as long as the feeling different is positive of course - not always the case with meds!). Hope it keeps working for you Nevaeh.

Take care,
Honey, xx

W

White Dragon

I've been taking citalopram with 20mg for a few months now. Unfortunately I feel it is no longer working. One of the things I hope to discuss with the nurse next week.

M

mememe

I'm on escitalopram too. 10mg for 3 months then up to 20 mg for 4 months, now the doc has put me down to 10mg again coz i was really dizzy and tired and he thought i might be 'overmedicated'. It seems to me like you have to be suicidal before they take your meds seriously. I've been up and down like a yoyo the last 3 weeks on the 10mg so now im confused as to what to do. Im not sure the 20mg was much good anyway.

Does anyone get Busperone or anything else for anxiety? I take it only a psychiatrist would prescribe mood stabilisers? xxx

trombone_babe

trombone_babe

Ive been on various ADs over the years, Prozac, Sertraline, Citalopram and now Venlafaxine. All of them worked to start with but after a while I seem to get resistant and have to change. Not having a good time changing to Venlafaxine though, been on it 6 weeks now, 2 at a higher dose (175mg)

dib4uk

dib4uk

I'm on mirtazapine- i cant really say if its helping or not, the only thing is that im not crying all the time.

I went back and forward to the doctors cause i felt myself slipping, and she wouldnt increase the dosage, i'm on 15 mg a day.

But its not helped with the mood swings- which are constant, my anger or the haullucinations i have, but, my psychiatrist said for me to stay on the anti depressants for now.

KP1

KP1

Founding Member
I am now on escitalopram 15mg and lithium 800mg. Mitazapine has also been suggested at last appointment but apparently this can cause weight gain which I'm already struggling with. I don't feel as depressed as I did but I don't feel right and now have got urges to self harm which is new for me.
I have just reread this thread and I do feel like its a bit of a lottery for meds.I've been told to be more active and while I do understand this is imortant being able to stay awake for long enough would help.Motivation is still lacking as well.

Sugar Coated Owl

Sugar Coated Owl

I have tried Fluoxetine (Prozac) didn't do anything for me. I felt that paroxetine (Seroxat) helped, however when I was on this medication I took my first ever OD so I guess I couldn't have felt that good. I've also tried Citalopram, went up to 60mg, I felt alright, not happy but OK, anyway the Doctor switched it to escitalopram (Cipralex) I've been on that a while now. I don't know if it really helps but I've not noticed any side-effects.

L

Lil

I have been on lexapro, fluoxetine and now paroxetine so far.

Fluoxetine didn't do anything for me which is a shame because it did wonders for my mother.
Lexapro seemed to work really well but i lost motivation and started getting weird paranoia after about 3 months on it.
Paroxetine I haven't been on long enough to see if it works for me. Day 2 so far :)