• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

• Safety Notice: This section on Psychiatric Drugs/Medications enables people to share their personal experiences of using such drugs/medications. Always seek the advice of your doctor, psychiatrist or other qualified health professional before making any changes to your medications or with any questions you may have regarding drugs/medications. In considering coming off psychiatric drugs it is very important that you are aware that most psychiatric drugs can cause withdrawal reactions, sometimes including life-threatening emotional and physical withdrawal problems. In short, it is not only dangerous to start taking psychiatric drugs, it can also be dangerous to stop them. Withdrawal from psychiatric drugs should only be done carefully under experienced clinical supervision.

Anti Depressants Poll

How would you rate your experience with anti depressants ....1 being negative and 10 being positive

• 1 negative

Votes: 14 17.5%

Votes: 5 6.3%

Votes: 7 8.8%

Votes: 9 11.3%

Votes: 14 17.5%

Votes: 6 7.5%

Votes: 12 15.0%

Votes: 9 11.3%

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • 10 positive

Votes: 3 3.8%

• Total voters
schiz01

schiz01

On a scale from 1 to 10
How would you rate your experiences with anti depressants
1 being a negative and 10 being a positive

S

*Sapphire*

It depends on which one you are talking about, i've taken loads of ADs and only one has actually worked for me to date.

schiz01

schiz01

It depends on which one you are talking about, i've taken loads of ADs and only one has actually worked for me to date.
Talking about your overall experiences.In your case you would have to take into consideration all the different ones you have been on

S

*Sapphire*

The thing is, that would be very hard to do, because most of them actually caused me alot of harm or had no effect whatsoever, however the one I am on now has improved my life in ways I never expected, so it is very hard to guage.

schiz01

schiz01

The thing is, that would be very hard to do, because most of them actually caused me alot of harm or had no effect whatsoever, however the one I am on now has improved my life in ways I never expected, so it is very hard to guage.
Im guessing some where round the middle of the road for you then....maybe a little bit above

M

mad as a hatter

can,t tk them they only made me worse there horrible

A

Apotheosis

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qGI48YcGDnU&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qGI48YcGDnU&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]​

schiz01

schiz01

:LOL: Poor old Mr Bump
Been a while since i have seen him

W

whatstheproblem?

Am sure if it wasn't for starting citalopram a couple of years ago I would not be here now. I would either be locked up or 6 feet under.. So whilst i'm sure there are a lot of negative feelings about antidepressants, they really can help. :)

R

Respecting myself

Antidepressants have always made me feel worse - although I'm on Sertraline at the mo and I don't think it makes a blind bit of difference!

Temazepam helps me sleep and I though Amitryptiline was great for the same reason - I'm not good on zero sleep!

K

Kate31

meds

age 17 sertraline, made me feel nauseous
age 18 dothiepin, made me feel more depressed
age 20, prozac, made me shake and lose weight (not good as anorexic!)
age 22, temazepan, made me zombie-like
age 23, mirtazipine, worked but hated the weight-gain
age 24, olanzapine - amazing for anorexia but hated wgt gain
age 29, quetiepine - sleep better, less anxious
age 30, venlafaxine - only anti-depressant that works for me...

D

danbrown87

I'm currently on Mirtazapine and Venlafaxine and I think the greatest effects they have are the side effects. I've been depressed for so long, that I don't even know what medication does to me. I've found CBT and in particular the "Overcoming Depression" book to be far more effective. Problem is, CBT is obviously far more expensive than sticking someone on anti-depressants.

K

Kate31

cbt v meds

I completely agree - meds are dished out when therapy should be first...

I'd recommend : Cbt for dummies
depressive illness: curse of the strong
teach yourself cbt
Brilliant CBT
overcoming depression (paul Gilbert)

the way i keep well is by reading as much as poss on CBT and hoping that it is sinking in to my brain!!

dib4uk

dib4uk

Cant rememeber what i orginally voted for- but, here goes my experiences with anti depressants.

1st time I was on them- years ago only for a month, felt ok, so i stopped taking them. 2nd time on anti depressants they made me worse and very manic... by the time i saw the psychiatrists i'd been on anti depressants for about 4 or 5 months and they wasnt helping one bit. So he stopped them and placed me on mood staberlisers instead.

Mirtazapine- the 2nd time made me crazier than crazy in one flew over the cookcoo's nest....

CBT works for some not all, i've been put on the waiting list for psychodynamic pyschotherapy instead....