• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Anti-Depressants and/or Mood Stabilisers

B

BP2

How many of us with Bi-polar, Bi-polar 2 in my case, follow treatment regimes that comprise of only of 1 or more mood stabilisers and no mainstream anti-depressants.

My pdoc is convinced I am bipolar but my highs seem, few and far between, and even when they do happen they seem mild and self limiting.

My pdoc also seems very focused on getting me off the anti-depressants. Now I accept that is a laudable goal, and it would be great, but I am very doubtful it will happen, and being on an anti-depressant with a relatively benign side effect profile doesn't sound too bad a compromise compared with some mood stabilisers or anti-psychotics.

I am getting tired and frustrated with trying different regimes which seem to de-stablise me for a month or two only to conclude the mood stabiliser is not working effectively enough to discontinue the anti-depressant.

Have others been through this transition and kicked the ADs out of the equation altogether?

What happens then when you get depressed? Do you have to then re-start an AD all other again and hence the cycle (no pun intended) starts over.

Thanks
BP2

D

Dashem

HI

I feel i understand where you are coming from in many ways..i have had similar experiences. Do you know very much about cbt?

S

snnny

My psychiatrist told me that it might have been one of the antidepressants that triggered a manic episode in me.As new research suggests that the some but not all of the newer sssri's can in some people trigger mania.
Ive only had maybe 5 manic episodes but I find them quite frightening - I find my mood is quite stable if I avoid stressful situations.
lately ive been lucky with depression Ive managed to avoid it in the last 2 years -I think going weekly to badminton and yoga pilates run by the pct(primary care trust) has really helped.

D

Dashem

Thanks 4 that

Hi thanks for that i havn theard of that before, cos like wot you say the manic episodes are scary..my mood is usually been settled and i havnt had one for over a year and also i find too much bad stress really sets me off 2..at the mo am very close to it, i have lots ov stresses goin on and tryin so hard 2 keep control...

S

suzy

I am bipolar and don't have any highs, I want them. I only had one high because of some stupid drug called sertraline an anti depressant

D

Dashem

HI

I fort Bi polar was a mixture of highs and lows? differnt ppl suffer different amounts of them both, i generally tend to stay in the middle, more so drop low, ihave mayb 1 high a year now think cos my meds are now under control. it hasnt been easy, lots of reasearching on my behalf and usin cbt also has been great help..
Hope this may help..
I have just come back after a spell off and really cant fathom out how to put a new thread on..
Can you help plz? ...many thanks

E

ellabee

bipolar

hi all,
im bipolar just recently dignosed originally was depression with psychosis. im on meds 7 months now venleflexine 225mg and quietipine 150mg anyone else on these meds. i dont find they work for me and i want to get talking to people with siilar highs and lows.

currently im in a high not sleeping steeling spending on random things I dont understand my trains of thought they are random and continuse. the lows i hate all i do is sleep self loathe and self harm. the cycles seem to change regularly and i feel isolated and alone like there isnt anyone close that can even begin to understand.

D

Dashem

hi

Sorry to hear u feel that way, it mustbe awful for u, try not to be 2 harsh on ur self tho..

I was thinking of u.

E

ellabee

was the reply for me

hi the last reply i didnt know if that was meant for me or the original person