• Safety Notice: This section on Psychiatric Drugs/Medications enables people to share their personal experiences of using such drugs/medications. Always seek the advice of your doctor, psychiatrist or other qualified health professional before making any changes to your medications or with any questions you may have regarding drugs/medications. In considering coming off psychiatric drugs it is very important that you are aware that most psychiatric drugs can cause withdrawal reactions, sometimes including life-threatening emotional and physical withdrawal problems. In short, it is not only dangerous to start taking psychiatric drugs, it can also be dangerous to stop them. Withdrawal from psychiatric drugs should only be done carefully under experienced clinical supervision.

Anti depressants and mood stabilisers

KP1

KP1

Founding Member
Has anyone experience of taking both for depression? I have been put on a low dose of lithium along with a new anti depressant. I am starting to feel the benefit after just under a week which is a first for me as I haven't felt an obvious improvement before.
I know it is less common to use a mood stabliser for depression not bi polar and would be interested in chatting to any one who has personal experience of it. Either on this thread or by pm.
Thanks
KP

Q

quality factor

Hi KP,

When I was on Lithium I was also on another mood stabiliser called Carbamazipine and an ad called Venlafaxine. The dose for the ad is quite high...225mg. As you know I'm off lithium, but my consultant is using my other mood stabiliser to deal with my epilepsy as well.

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
Yes kp have been on ad and mood stabiliser for years now. Currently Mirtazapine and Semi-Sodium Valproate although I think I may need another change as they certainly haven't been working very well over the past 8 months!:(. To be honest I have never really been convinced that I needed the mood stabiliser but when things were ok(ish) I never really questioned it. If it works for you however that is great. You will need regular blood tests with the Lithium (and valproate for that matter) but I am sure your psych has explained that.

Glad to hear they are working.