• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Anti-depressant Question

• Thread starter MidnightMusician
  • Start date
M

MidnightMusician

Hi All!

Just wanna know if anyone who has started anti-depressants recently in the past few months can say they really made a real different to their personality?

I keep feeling angry a lot, mood swings, don't feel connected to people, have no friends, single and feel generally on edge and lost in life. Quite forgetful too (like I left my keys in the door the other day and locked myself out) and really feel de-motivated. I have tried therapists and now I'm really considering anti-depressants in the hope that all these feelings will dissipate.

So the reason I wanted to ask someone who's recently started them is the way they were feeling without them and have now started on them will be quite fresh in their minds.

So can you remember if they really helped your mood. Did you feel more positive? did it improve your motivation?

Let me know.

Thanks!

E

EstherRose94

I eventually just felt more like my old self and better able to cool off if upset. It takes a little time to kick in though

M

MidnightMusician

I eventually just felt more like my old self and better able to cool off if upset. It takes a little time to kick in though
Kind of like your old self?

M

MidnightMusician

Yeah, I can't remember the last time I felt like really contented and not angst and on edge all the time.

I really feel (at 43) that something needs to change now. I alienate myself and feel like I don't click with anyone. It sucks bigtime. Anti-depressants are seriously on my mind right now. Don't know what else to do. Tried therapists, nothing changes.

I'm worried though, I suffer bad migraines and the slightest thing triggers one it seems. I always wake with the headaches but anything that stops me sleeping will trigger them on waking as it seems if I sleep too little or too much, bam, I wake with a headache. So a drink at night seems to trigger them, can't drink coffee any later than 6pm and so I'm worried to start taking them.

I took 5HTP a couple of years ago and the first day I was fine, 2nd day, bam, migraine. So stopped.

P

Pixie75

Hi All!

Just wanna know if anyone who has started anti-depressants recently in the past few months can say they really made a real different to their personality?

I keep feeling angry a lot, mood swings, don't feel connected to people, have no friends, single and feel generally on edge and lost in life. Quite forgetful too (like I left my keys in the door the other day and locked myself out) and really feel de-motivated. I have tried therapists and now I'm really considering anti-depressants in the hope that all these feelings will dissipate.

So the reason I wanted to ask someone who's recently started them is the way they were feeling without them and have now started on them will be quite fresh in their minds.

So can you remember if they really helped your mood. Did you feel more positive? did it improve your motivation?

Let me know.

Thanks!
Hiya

I was alot like you are feeling now, and was placed on anti depressants. They kicked in in 3 weeks, and I found that I was able to cope alot easier with day to day issues. My mood also improved and I felt less irritable/sad and more upbeat in general. That's when I decided to join the gym and attend fitness classes. I also completed a rock climbing course and made some new friends. Sometimes you just need a little push in the right direction, then everything else falls into place. Xxx

Z

Zoe1

I found them helpful as well
especially the new ones which are much lighter on your system

I have found I need to do affirmations as well
which support workers have taught me
I wrote down some of my negative thoughts
and then wrote down the opposite

so like ' I am lovable ' ' I deserve to be loved '
' I am good enough ' ' I am proud of myself '
and I say each one 3 times to re-programme my thinking

:grouphug:

M

MidnightMusician

I'm hoping they'll make me less stupid and forgetful at work. People seem to think I'm unapproachable (it seems although I'm not nasty, just not very talkative and a bit clicky). Dunno, always making silly mistakes as well.

Wonder if it's a chemical imbalance.

Z

Zoe1

well maybe , but its also a self esteem problem
from what you just said
and that is something you can work on with these forums
that you are calling yourself stupid and silly

I have this problem too
and I'm told that making mistakes is an important learning process

M

MidnightMusician

well maybe , but its also a self esteem problem
from what you just said
and that is something you can work on with these forums
that you are calling yourself stupid and silly

I have this problem too
and I'm told that making mistakes is an important learning process

It would be self esteem if the things weren't happening but they are. I'm always making mistakes at work and doing things that NONE of the others do. I don't seem to learn from my mistakes either. Forgetful and just a bit braindead. Maybe a chemical imbalance?

E

EstherRose94

Possibly. Depression would make it really hard to focus

Z

Zoe1

k well maybe call yourself absent minded then rather than stupid

you would not call someone else stupid if they were making mistakes !
I think probably other people do make mistakes
they just take it more in their stride and bounce back

im hopeless at coping with mistakes actually

and yes also it could be to do with the chemical imbalance

E

EstherRose94

But yes I’ve felt more productive and I also actually speak to my coworkers now lol. Thank GOODNESS because the lack of interaction was driving me crazy

J

JCPraha

I found them quite helpful, but the reaction and effectiveness of them and highly variable between individuals. Therefore, the only way to know is to try for yourself. Keep in mind, that oftentimes you will have to try more than one if the first one you try is not effective, and it takes at least a month of use to know if the med you are taking is helpful. However, given the state you have been in, it seems it would be worth a try.

J

JCPraha

BTW, depression can definitely effect your mental acuity. It has surely had an impact upon me in the past.