• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Anti-depressant effect of illness (?)

S

Soren

Bit of a weird one this, but i'm not messing around, honestly!

I've noticed that the day before i come down with a cold or virus, i feel abnormally relaxed, happy and optimistic (i.e. not depressed, anxious, angry and miserable as normal).

Only for a day, mind; then its snot misery for the foreseeable.

This happens absolutely without exception, and has done for many years. I speculate that the body's reaction to an infection makes you feel good before the inevitable onset of the more familiar miserable cold/virus symptoms.

I've always assumed that this is my own idiosyncrasy, and if so, then i'll look pretty silly when this thread attracts no response - but what the heck: Has anyone else noticed anything like this?

P.S. Could this tell us anything about depression as a physiological condition?

L

Leon

this might sound weird but I once read that there had been a controversial treatment for psychosis which was to give the patient an viral illness (treatable of course), as the doctor in question noticed they didn't become poorly, while psychotic, I forget the details, but it made me think at the time
Ive noticed that in my depressive episodes I don't get ill, but normally I'm very prone to flu and colds, etc.
the same is true this time. Something interesting going on in the mind/body

N

nina

Hello,

I've a similar experience..mine is when I've actually a cold I don't know what goes on but when I have a cold all I feel is physically ill.

I can open the front door alot easier in my dressing gown greasy hair and big red nose than I can 'looking' fresh as a daisy.!?

I rarely feel anxious if I'm ill it is very strange.

Nina:unsure:

S

Soren

thanks for posting Leon and Nina. yeah, i think maybe the body's metabolism changes when you're ill. i've noticed my sleep patterns sometimes improve too. oh well, thanks again.

Y

YellowBrickRoad

Have to agree. When I have a cold/flu/virus I don't feel depressed just ill. I can go out the door much easier when I have a cold than on a normal cold-free day. Strange...:confused:

X

xxxmetal-chickxxx

i agee . when im ill i feel better about myself. when im not .. im depressed or very manic x