• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

• Safety Notice: This section on Psychiatric Drugs/Medications enables people to share their personal experiences of using such drugs/medications. Always seek the advice of your doctor, psychiatrist or other qualified health professional before making any changes to your medications or with any questions you may have regarding drugs/medications. In considering coming off psychiatric drugs it is very important that you are aware that most psychiatric drugs can cause withdrawal reactions, sometimes including life-threatening emotional and physical withdrawal problems. In short, it is not only dangerous to start taking psychiatric drugs, it can also be dangerous to stop them. Withdrawal from psychiatric drugs should only be done carefully under experienced clinical supervision.

Anti Anxiety Medication Advice please!

H

HollyR

Hi guys,

So I suffer with sever anxiety, depression, Borderline Personality Disorder, and Pseudo Seizures. Basically lately my anxiety is so bad that my seizures have tripled in severity. I called my doctor and asked if I can have an anti anxiety medication that would help the fits to reduce or maybe stop them. I would like to go onto something a little more long term, but I'm hesitant because the last time I was on anti depressants I reacted really badly in the beginning so it put me off a little.

So my doctor has decided to give me Diazepam, a low dose yes, but it's been said that with a personality disorder taking this medication is not the best idea. I need some advice, I'm considering maybe going back onto my anti depressants as something more long term, as I've researched that anti anxiety specifically is more temporary. I'm just a little stuck to be honest and need some advice if anyone would be happy to give any insights?

Many thanks xx

N

natalie

Hi Holly R,

I'm not an expert on very complicated very involved mental health issues.

i don't think however antidepressants fits the bill for anti anxiety med, the best way forward would be for something like, Pregabalin, which is an anxiety med and taken or for me, taken on a twice daily basis.

So I would return back to the doctor, and ask about Pregabalin, let us know how you'll get on mentioning Pregabalin, to them.

Best regards.

H

HollyR

Thank you for your help, it's really appreciated. I'll mention it to my doctor and see what she says, I have an appointment with her on Wednesday to discuss medications as my male doctor sadly isn't very good.

Due to my other mental health challenges, I wonder if anti anxiety or anti depressants will help cover all of my problems or lessen the symptoms. Hopefully we find the right path for me! Thank you so much though I wouldn't have known about this medication before now :) x

N

natalie

Hi Holly R,

Your welcome.

I think that owing to your other mental health problems, again, speak with the doctor, now if they might not be very forthwilling, ask them for a referral or back to the community mental health team, and hopefully in due course, they will assess you again, and write up the necessary suitable medication.

Best Wishes.

H

HollyR

Hi Holly R,

Your welcome.

I think that owing to your other mental health problems, again, speak with the doctor, now if they might not be very forthwilling, ask them for a referral or back to the community mental health team, and hopefully in due course, they will assess you again, and write up the necessary suitable medication.

Best Wishes.
Hi!

I had my consultation this morning, and they have decided to put me on Citalopram for a more long term solution. I'm quite happy with that as I've done a lot of research on the medication myself and feel it'll benefit me a lot. So I'll trial it and see how it goes! Thank you!! x