• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Another title..has anyone stopped drinking completely because of mental health or because of meds?

S

soalone188

Another title..has anyone stopped drinking completely because of mental health or because of meds?

Can anyone share their story with me?

cpuusage

Former member
Was 17 years in severe addiction/alcoholism -

Am now over 15 years t-total/clean/sober - with some help from 12 step groups & following a healing path.

Millions of people Globally are in long term recovery/sobriety - using various approaches to healing.

S

soalone188

Thank you for sharing that with me. I feel quite alone being young and making the choice to stop drinking. Because I know so many people who do drink. And especially people my own age. But I think in the long run it will be worth it.

cpuusage

Former member
Thank you for sharing that with me. I feel quite alone being young and making the choice to stop drinking. Because I know so many people who do drink. And especially people my own age. But I think in the long run it will be worth it.

imo we have free will/choices - Ultimately it's your life.

It seems like most people drink & do drugs, but it's Not really the full picture or reality of things.

Most people i know don't drink/drug.

It's also very complex issues surrounding substance/alcohol use/misuse - prescribed psychiatric drugs - with mental health difficulties. It all can get very messy & confusing.

As i say, your life & choices, & if your young what's the appeal of following some course into the whole drink/drug scene? It's all so boring & rubbish anyway.

S

soalone188

There is no appeal I guess. I just don't like being the odd one out. But that's all I've always been anyway, should be used to it by now.

C

Clandestine Rob

Im a poly drink drug addict of 22 years.. been 7 months sober (with 3 drinking lapses) , its really not safe for me to drink at all on my last lapse i drank a 70cl bottle of pernod and 3/4's of a 70cl vodka in less than 24 hours.. it soon goes more into self harm than any kinda recreational use.

Alcohol is really dangerous stuff with BPD it can act as an emotianol blanket so the appeal is very real, my favorate drug was good strong amphetamine i love that shit, and then more drink and benzo and opiates to manage the side effects.. 7 month ago came to abit of a bleak rock bottom for me, im still very much at the bottom actually.. never belived it would get that bad untill it did kinda.

peace

Kerome

Kerome

I stopped drinking about seven months ago, because of the way the drink interacted with my medication, it just made my head less stable. I was never a heavy drinker though, at most 2 largish glasses of wine on an evening or a couple of pints. I enjoyed drinking wine with friends, was a member of a very fun wine club, but I don't know if I'll ever go back to that, probably not while I am on these meds.

S

soalone188

Hi thank you for your replies. This is kind of, well, a lot off subject but my psychiatrist has changed my valium to clonazepam and I've been really upset since he's changed them.is it to do with coming off valium cold turkey? I asked for clonazepam because my anxiety is so bad and he said they last longer in your system. Can anyone advise me on this? Also I've just been so upset because I think about my dad all the time, and I recently found out I can't conceive naturally and that's upset me a lot because I'm young and I feel abnormal. Everything is building up. I can normally cope with things but recently I've just been an emotional wreck. I keep looking at my dads Urn and crying I feel so unstable right now. And I'm so paranoid I feel like everyone hates me. And I have no one to talk to :'( :'(

S

soalone188

I agree with you on the emotional blanket thing. I can't drink either because of my tablets and it just messes with my head when I do drink. I'm on benzodiazes and they don't go well with drink.

C

Clandestine Rob

Hi there :) if your Valium was changed to clonazepam your not really doing any cold turkey, they are both benzodiazepines, clonazepam is actually a great deal stronger than diazepam (Valium), 1mg of clonazepam is equivalent to 20mg Valium, and clonaz is much better for anxiety usually. They are both very long acting benzo's Valium will probably stay in your system abit longer but the clonazepam you should notice a lot more, how many doses a day are you scripted? If you take clonazepam twice daily then it's in you for a 24hour period. I'm not really sure how to advise you on the rest of it though, I'm no stranger to misery and loss but of different things. I'm always happy to talk :)

Peace

S

soalone188

Hi thank you for your reply! I have to take 500mcg of clonazepam once a day. Before I was taking 2.5mg valium twice a day. I also take 150mg quetiapine, 40mg propranolol and 30mg citalopram. I don't know what is up with me I've just been so emotional today and looking at my dads urn and pictures and crying my eyes out. I also feel very lonely and scared. I was on the phone to my mum for an hour and a half because I needed someone to talk to. I always feel nervous and it seems the only.time I'm less nervous is at night! In the morning I am so nervous :( I feel so abnormal.

S

soalone188

Hi I've replied

C

Clandestine Rob

Same here regarding less nervous at night! I feel much more in control at night. I'm going to an emotional coping skills group at the moment and they have thought me that there are three mind states.

1. Emotional mind
2. Rational mind
3. Wise mind

Emotional mind is me most the time, especially mornings. Driven by emotions, often when there is no rational need for the emotions I'm having, means logic and rational thinking go out the window. It's hard to cope with

Ration mind is me at night or when I don't need to be doing anything but mainly at night since I don't need to deal with people after I've had my last meds... in this state I feel quick, logical, on topic and know exactly what I should do and the correct way to do it. There is a lot less emotional trouble so things are easier to deal with

Wise mind is a work in progress, this is what one should hope to achieve... a combination of emotional mind and rational mind.. the emotions will always be there and mean something, but they can be soothed and dealt with by using rational mind. I can achieve wise mind for short periods but it's hard work, it's not comfortable but is rewarding if I can keep it going long enough that I actually don't make a fool outta myself or freeze with fear when dealing with somebody.

I had to stop quitiepine recently it gave me horrendous restless legs at night, really uncomfortable... it was brilliant for my mental health though I was much more able to achieve wise mind much more often. I'm supposed to be starting aripiprazole as a replacement but they are really taking there time about it.

Hope that helps :)

Peace

C

Clandestine Rob

Oh yea 500 mcg is 0.5mg which is a benzo's equivalent of 10 mg Valium.. so he has put you up abit actually from 2mg and clonazepam is better i find, although I'm not on benzo's at the moment I was addicted for many many years and I'm glad to be rid of them. I recently started pregablin which is pretty good for anxiety and I'm waiting on aripiprazole to replace quitiepine.. I also take sertraline and baclofen

Peace :)

S

soalone188

Hi, how much is clonazepam 500mcg? It seems like a small amount.

It sounds like you are in a good programme. I think it's unhealthy for me to be so reliant on night time and sleep and feeling less nervous. Because the more I feel relaxed the more I'm wanting it to be night time. I feel like through the day I have to bother with people and I feel nervous that they might be mean to me or something. And at night when I've taken my quetiapine I feel drowsy and relaxed and feel like no one can bother me because I'm indoors and everyone is in bed or someting. Quetiapine makes me very tired so I tend to sleep in a lot but even when I wake up late I feel nervous. It's all through the day time I feel anxious and scared. I also suffer wit paranoia to the point where sometimes if I'm home alone I think someone is in the house with me with a mask on. I won't say which mask because it's stupid but it's always terrified me.

I also have emotions I shouldnt even be having because they aren't rational. I know they aren't rational but I can't get rid of them. Until night time.

I'm sorry quetiapine made you uncomfortable..I've been on aripiprazole but only briefly. I've been on quetiapine a long time now..I can't sleep without it.

Are you on anything else?