• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Another breakdown

R

realdave

My friend has a history of Schizophrenia and receives weekly medication.

I've known him for about 6 years, he is 41, I am 37.

He had a breakdown 3 years ago and attempted suicide, he was taken to a mental health hospital where he stayed for 6 weeks or so. I visited him frequently and helped him get back home.

He has been ok to a point but after a few months began taking amphetamine and alcohol again which became excessive at times.

He had a long distance relationship which recently broke up, he never told me about the break up 3 months ago.

I recently asked him how his relationship was going, he told me about the break up. A week later he confronted me telling me I had no right to ask him about his personal life.

Since then everything has changed between us.

I spent some time with him last week and it is clear he has decided I am against him. He lectured me about black holes for 2 hours and decided I should not speak, if I did interrupt he became aggressive.

A very disappointing and uncomfortable experience.

We have not spoken since but I am feeling very detached from him and not sure how to approach the subject. He has no family and normally refuses to speak to any doctors. He has a nurse visit him every fortnight but she just seems to administer drugs.

I'm not sure I can take the strain again. He is not the only one with problems and I've warned him on numerous occasions about the drug taking but his other friends keep supplying him and I know I am expected to pick up the pieces.

Not sure what I really expect from a response here but typing this has helped with perspective. I can't afford to feel guilty about abandoning him but I fear if I do he will die which I will have to live with. But at the moment that seems to be easier than actually approaching him about this subject. If I point out he is having a breakdown, and explain what is happening, the realisation will trigger a full on collapse and I'll be held responsible, and expected to get him through it.

I can't do this.

It's a very hard place to be right now.

Thanks

Kerome

Kerome

A breakdown is not such a bad place to be, there are often new possibilities afterwards. Being honest with him about how you see things may help him, and it will allow you to say later on that at least you tried.

Sorry to hear your friend is giving you such a hard tome :hug:

D

diddypinks

ACCOUNT CLOSED
theres been times in my illness when my behaviour i cannot relate to me it was like somebody else
just hang back but keep trying we need all the friends we can get amphetamines are so bad for schizophrenics id be ill too.

BillFish

BillFish

He has been ok to a point but after a few months began taking amphetamine and alcohol again which became excessive at times.

Thanks
That's the actual problem that' needs addressed, either make a very considerable effort to help him get off the drugs, by contacting relevant agencies having gained his permission through friendly persuasion, or go find someone who is worthy of your empathy and caring friendship.The man is on a self destruct binge to nowhere at the moment. If you can help him ditch the street drugs he should be fine on his meds and probably a different person.

R

realdave

Thanks for the replies. They have helped a lot. I feel more confident in moving forward now, it's hard to deal with when you can't speak to anyone about the issue as they will either not understand or start gossiping and the last thing I want to do is talk about his business. Thanks again.