• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

anorexia

midnight

midnight

Founding Member
my brother in law's girlfriend had it she went down to just over 6 stone - it was shocking to see size 6 clothes fall off her. She was a lovely size 14 when we got married over 8 years ago.

She seems to have overcome the anorexia but i think she has replaced one obsession with another, now she is a fitness fantactic and trains 6 times a week and teaches classes after her day job

This can't be healthy is it?

D

Dollit

People often feel that they have no control over their lives or what is happening to them and it's easy to focus that control on an issue such as eating or exercise. You think she has gained some sort of ascendency over her anorexia but has replaced it with exercise but she hasn't. If she was controlling her weight by not eating and is now eating but is exercising excessively she is still trying to control her weight. Anorexia is just a term that people use to mean that you're at least 20% under the weight range normal for your height, age & gender. She has issues that underlie the problem that she has with her weight. She probably does need help but it's notoriously difficult to reach people when they don't see that there is a problem - there is the distinct possibility that in her mind she has found a solution. Tread carefully and be aware of times when she may want to speak but also be aware of the fact that she may never want to broach the subject.

midnight

midnight

Founding Member
oh my god I saw that poor girl who was on big brother (Nicky - I think) who has basically knackered her body through having anorexia - she has osteoporosis in her spine and can't have kids

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
SmallAngel Anorexia Treatment Eating Disorders Forum 2
SmallAngel Help for anorexia Eating Disorders Forum 2
T Need Free or cheap help with my anorexia Eating Disorders Forum 7
S Hey i'm new here and trying to recover from anorexia Eating Disorders Forum 22
A anorexia Eating Disorders Forum 2
A Body Comparison and Anorexia Eating Disorders Forum 3
A Having Anorexia Nervosa Eating Disorders Forum 2
S I am a survivor of Anorexia Nervosa, and forever will struggle. This is my story... Eating Disorders Forum 6
J Body image and Anorexia with my running Eating Disorders Forum 1
T Testimony - A rather fast recovery from anorexia Eating Disorders Forum 4
M Anorexia vs Hypothyroidism Eating Disorders Forum 5
J 18 years with anorexia and bulimia Eating Disorders Forum 9
Inter Vivos I don't have a diagnosis of anorexia, but... Eating Disorders Forum 4
Inter Vivos I now know why I have had anorexia. Eating Disorders Forum 3
S anorexia recovery poems Eating Disorders Forum 2
A Am I considered anorexic if I have atypical anorexia? Eating Disorders Forum 2
T Do you still 'have' anorexia if you're in recovery and no longer underweight? Eating Disorders Forum 8
R My partner has anorexia and bipolar disorder. Eating Disorders Forum 7
K I have relapsed back into Anorexia and need advice or even just a chat... Eating Disorders Forum 6
Kerome Louis Theroux among anorexia sufferers Eating Disorders Forum 3
R Anorexia Recovery, Possible OCD Eating Disorders Forum 2
P Wife has left me after anorexia and binge eating disorders Eating Disorders Forum 6
K Anorexia just manifesting itself in a different way.... or something else? Eating Disorders Forum 5
T Anxiety/depression/anorexia/bulimia/OCD Eating Disorders Forum 3
2 Help me with 69yr old mum with Anorexia Eating Disorders Forum 2
M I'm not sure what to do about girlfriends anorexia/mental illnesses Eating Disorders Forum 1
G anorexia Eating Disorders Forum 2
W is this what anorexia feels like? Eating Disorders Forum 4
S Trying to beat Anorexia...Again Eating Disorders Forum 7
F The antipsychotic drugs don’t work for anorexia nervosa Eating Disorders Forum 7
F Medication versus placebo for anorexia nervosa: antidepressants, antipsychotics and hormonal therapy Eating Disorders Forum 3
F First results of a refeeding program in a psychiatric intensive care unit for patients with extreme anorexia nervosa (trigger?) Eating Disorders Forum 2
K something in between anorexia and bulimia Eating Disorders Forum 5
F UCLA study shows that people with anorexia and body dysmorphic disorder have similar brain abnormalities Eating Disorders Forum 1
A Does this sound like Anorexia? Because I'm not entirely sure... Eating Disorders Forum 1
F I don’t want an A for anorexia Eating Disorders Forum 1
RainbowHeartz anorexia to bulimia to binge eating Eating Disorders Forum 4
S Anorexia Help!! Please Eating Disorders Forum 6
A.m.b.e.r Hit.Rock.Bottom - Anorexia Relapse/Recovery Eating Disorders Forum 2
L Pubescent changes as a catalyst for anorexia? Eating Disorders Forum 2
M Feeling lost over anorexia Eating Disorders Forum 2
S Anorexia since I was 16 Eating Disorders Forum 2
J Anorexia to bulimia to binge eating Eating Disorders Forum 3
S Anorexia breakdown, please help Eating Disorders Forum 6
A Risk of anorexia? Eating Disorders Forum 3
A.m.b.e.r Scared Anorexia will come back to haunt me... Eating Disorders Forum 3
W Wife with anorexia with binge/purge subtype Eating Disorders Forum 3
S GP reactions to anorexia Eating Disorders Forum 13
Q Anorexia AND BED?!?! help!! Eating Disorders Forum 9
F Eating disorder anorexia may be linked to brain size Eating Disorders Forum 2