• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

For more features and forums

anorexia

midnight

midnight

Founding Member
my brother in law's girlfriend had it she went down to just over 6 stone - it was shocking to see size 6 clothes fall off her. She was a lovely size 14 when we got married over 8 years ago.

She seems to have overcome the anorexia but i think she has replaced one obsession with another, now she is a fitness fantactic and trains 6 times a week and teaches classes after her day job

This can't be healthy is it?

D

Dollit

People often feel that they have no control over their lives or what is happening to them and it's easy to focus that control on an issue such as eating or exercise. You think she has gained some sort of ascendency over her anorexia but has replaced it with exercise but she hasn't. If she was controlling her weight by not eating and is now eating but is exercising excessively she is still trying to control her weight. Anorexia is just a term that people use to mean that you're at least 20% under the weight range normal for your height, age & gender. She has issues that underlie the problem that she has with her weight. She probably does need help but it's notoriously difficult to reach people when they don't see that there is a problem - there is the distinct possibility that in her mind she has found a solution. Tread carefully and be aware of times when she may want to speak but also be aware of the fact that she may never want to broach the subject.

midnight

midnight

Founding Member
oh my god I saw that poor girl who was on big brother (Nicky - I think) who has basically knackered her body through having anorexia - she has osteoporosis in her spine and can't have kids