• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Anomalous Experience Recovery Model

R

Roger Waldram

Hello. First I'll 'check in' with some personal info followed by an explanation of what on earth is 'anomalous experience', next I'll attach the model followed by a link to my blog that has the abstract from my doctoral thesis.
1. I'm a 62 year old insulin-dependant integrative psychotherapist. In my 20's I saw & heard stuff others didn't, stopped injecting insulin & had a near death experience. I was committed, diagnosed acute schizophrenia & 'treated' with largactil & ECT that I hated. After discharge I remained on insulin & made the changes needed including no anti-psychotic meds.
2. Homolous means the same so anomalous means not the same or odd, different strange & includes a full range of this experience with no psychiatric diagnosis-check out 'Varieties of Anomalous Experience' by Krippner & others.
3. Diagnosis rests on belief & perception so experience can be seen & treated very differently-my 8 years research was with now mental health professionals who had recovered & my question concerned 'madness' & 'spiritual experience'-I'm not talking about religious-stuff, seeing that as quite different. Here's the link http://www.vinepartnership.co.uk/index.php?page=blog Warning-there's a smiling picture of me on the 1st site page that I find spooky!
4. The model suggests we start off as a homolous being (? Mal-Adaptive=pleasing others), after stress-overload, linked-losses, life-crisis, drugs or ritual we enter an anomalous world. There we can't sleep or concentrate, see, hear or think symbolically & that's horrendous for us & those closest. Recovery includes sanctuary, good relationship, & using stress and feeling-management tools. Then we become more aware, capable and resilient.

As a rider to what I've said this is rigorous qualitative research but nevertheless subjective & may not be a good 'fit' for you-it can't be & was never intended to be a universal 'remedy'. However it offers a different perspective that can be integrated with current mental health discourse e.g. using medication to manage symptoms for the time being etc.
Now I'll try & upload the model-be great to hear from you here or on the blog..
All the best,
RogerView attachment Anomalous Recovery ref.doc

R

Roger Waldram

Thanks Apotheosis I was beginning to think what I'd said had fallen into a black hole-tho' it is a holiday weekend, I guess....
Be great to get some more feedback

A

Apotheosis

Thanks Apotheosis I was beginning to think what I'd said had fallen into a black hole-tho' it is a holiday weekend, I guess....
Be great to get some more feedback
This site is like a black hole sometimes.

I was going over some of your Old posts; very interesting, I could have done with someone such as yourself for psychological help. I think that for many of us; the words, terms, & concepts of 'Recovery' can be very difficult, & not entirely accurate to personally apply for ourselves.

Is Anomalous Experience entirely pathological? How much are things about learning ways to cope better, & to find the support that we need; instead of recovering from some state? How much are the issues here of learning to cope with the ways in which 'we' have been treated & reacted to - more significant than the issues of personal recovery?

I tend to separate things out. Some things I'm recovering from - other things I'm learning to cope with - without proper guidance, support or appropriate help.

By far amongst the biggest issues for me have been those of social isolation & exclusion, & lack of proper support.

R

Roger Waldram

For me anomalous experience is just very different, like a different domain, & that can be great. However, there are times when I need to have my feet on the ground. Once went to a shamanic workshop-made my own drum with bloody fingers-no thimbles (!) & the shaman spoke of the golden road of spirit & the orange road of earth-important to walk with a foot on each. Too much time with spirit & the power gets cut off 'cos we didn't pay the bill & too down to earth=boring.
So important to learn & use the tools I think-tho' amidst positivity realistically if our situation is awful it's really rough for us. Learning to cope is vital I know. So good to build healthy relationships-people, music, art, animals, 'gods' anything that lifts our spirits I think. Time for me to take our border collie for our walk, ATB, Roger

A

Apotheosis

For me anomalous experience is just very different, like a different domain, & that can be great. However, there are times when I need to have my feet on the ground. Once went to a shamanic workshop-made my own drum with bloody fingers-no thimbles (!) & the shaman spoke of the golden road of spirit & the orange road of earth-important to walk with a foot on each. Too much time with spirit & the power gets cut off 'cos we didn't pay the bill & too down to earth=boring.
I fully agree. We need balance.

So important to learn & use the tools I think-tho' amidst positivity realistically if our situation is awful it's really rough for us. Learning to cope is vital I know. So good to build healthy relationships-people, music, art, animals, 'gods' anything that lifts our spirits I think. Time for me to take our border collie for our walk, ATB, Roger
Yes, I fully agree too. Enjoy the walk. :)