Anhedonia without Depression after mania/ physical and emotional numbness

M

Mrcobby1991

Anhedonia without Depression after mania/ physical and emotional numbness

I'm struggling to see why I should live with this. After an episode of 6 day mania last year, I fell into this state where all my emotions are blunted. My body is numb as well, I can't feel anything, life is completely uncomfortable. I'm not depressed but I can't feel frisson or emotion at all, negative or positive. Is there a cure for this? My CBT therapist said it was best to wait it out but its hard to wait out a life with no joy, laughter or relaxation. How can the human brain be so capricious? Why would it do this to someone?

Its important to note that whilst I wasn't psychotic during the mania, I was generally running around talking to people at a conference wild eyed, feeling hedonistic and starry eyed... so did this episode severely damage my brain chemistry? What's going on? I had these manias/ hypomanias on and off for three years until I finally crashed into this last year. SSRI did not work at all for my current predicament. Genuinely thinking of ending it all, the human mind is exorbitantly cruel.

Poopy Doll

Poopy Doll

I am so sorry no one answered your post right away. Yes, I agree with you that the human mind can be cruel. Are you still feeling numb ?? Have you sought help since you posted here?? I am concerned about you. I've read your post twice. Please let us know how you are doing.

M

Mrcobby1991

Thanks Poopydoll, appreciate it. Yes, I'm still numb and I've no idea when it will end. Antidepressants haven't helped at all.... You can't recommend anything, can you? My best hope is for my brain chemistry to eventually self correct it seems....

Poopy Doll

Poopy Doll

Did you suddenly stop any medication during this time period?? I am baffled only because I have insufficient information on your story. It sounds like a reaction to medication to me.

M

Mrcobby1991

Hi Poppy, sorry my reply's not as fast as yours. Not at all, there was no medication involved. The emotional numbness occurred after a manic episode. I wonder if I permanently damaged my dopamine receptors....

M

Mrcobby1991

Sorry, got your name wrong, Poopydoll if you insist... tired :)

Poopy Doll

Poopy Doll

Hi Poppy, sorry my reply's not as fast as yours. Not at all, there was no medication involved. The emotional numbness occurred after a manic episode. I wonder if I permanently damaged my dopamine receptors....
I think it is fear based thinking to say that you might have permanently damaged your dopamine receptors. The body and brain are self correcting if given enough time. I don't understand your situation. I'm sorry.

T

Tonic

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I always feel numb and empty after psychosis ends.

It feels so horrible.

I don't have any answers. Sorry.

ms.elle

ms.elle

Hello! You probably wont see this as it's been a few years, but Im curious if you got your emotions back?