• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

anhedonia and negative symptoms

T

thantil

Does anyone suffer from anhedonia?Has anyone tried something that helped him to overcome anhedonia and negative symptoms?Any suggestions?

Star-28

Star-28

hi

sorry ur down in the dumps... the last time i got really sick i suffered big time from anhedonia. i could think of going on a wonderful vacation in tahiti or something extremely fun and it would just not interest me at all. i can always tell i am extremely depressed when things like that occur.

i started taking risperidal again and it was like lifting a black sheet off of my head. i started to enjoy things again. now i am on prozac. it keeps me from slipping into those depressions. also going to the gym and riding my bike helps. or even just drinking a cup of joe while sitting in the sunlight helps.

hope u feel better soon

I

IntrospectionFtw!

I suffer from anhedonia, i think its mainly due to the dopamine antagonism, its been a long time since ive felt any pleasure from anything, aripiprazole works well because its a partial inverse agonist and it doesnt completely switch off your dopamine system it finds a way of getting around it im not sure exactly how it works, Also 5HT-1a and a2 are important which is why i think seroquel worked well for me, i think the best combination is ariapiprazole and a noradrenaline uptake inhibitor or maybe a drug that releases noradrenaline which is basically D2, 5HT-1a and a2 (noradrenaline) the main problem is the dopamine system which is why im searching for a antipsychotic which doesnt work on dopamine.

Last edited:
Star-28

Star-28

my doctor told me that the excess in dopamine is what is causing me to be psychotic...

I

IntrospectionFtw!

Its a theory it isnt a scientifically proven fact and it was discredited in the early 90's, controlling the dopamine levels or blocking your dopamine recepters can help aleviate or suppress the positive symptoms but that doesnt mean that a imbalance in dopamine is the root cause of psychotic disorders. dopamine is vital for feeling good and pleasure, which is why people who take neuroleptics tend to suffer from anhedonia and depression because there not using any and the neuroleptics lower your levels which is why the first few months going onto them you have a nice little equilibrium but then eventually you become depressed etc as your dopamine system changes. aripiprazole works differently along with amisulpride.

A

antipsionic

Excuse my ignorance but what is anhedonia?

Never mind just googled it, yeah its something I have experienced didn't know it had a name.