• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Angry and Anxious in the Morning

M

Mav2126

Does anyone get angry and anxious in the morning? I get so upset I scream in my car to work. Its so stressful. Then as the day goes on my anger and anxiety decrease. But whoah those mornings are a real difficult time.

Signofthetimes

Signofthetimes

Does anyone get angry and anxious in the morning? I get so upset I scream in my car to work. Its so stressful. Then as the day goes on my anger and anxiety decrease. But whoah those mornings are a real difficult time.
Yes, have screamed in the car plenty. xo

Kotter

Kotter

i'm fine in the mornings as long as i get my coffee.

:)

G

Ginger Kitten

Being angry and anxious sounds like bipolar agitation. I'm never like that in the mornings (takes me a while to come round), but I do experience it when very stressed or high. I think perhaps it might be an idea to mention it to your pdoc or GP. It sounds like a very uncomfortable place to be - and if it's happening a lot, maybe it needs to be addressed. Best wishes, GK.

Wishbone

Wishbone

Is this related to the difficulties you're having with work at the minute, maybe symptoms of an episode, or do you do this when you're in a good place too?

G

Ginger Kitten

Is this related to the difficulties you're having with work at the minute, maybe symptoms of an episode, or do you do this when you're in a good place too?
Is that question addressed to Mav2126, Wishbone? (Never told you btw, I like your username.)

M

Mav2126

It is just a mood swing that I have every morning - it could be because of the building up of stress at work. I am going to try something different. I am going to wake up 2 hours early take my medication and then wake up later. To see if I can have my medicine start working and hopefully wake up in a better mood.

Signofthetimes

Signofthetimes

It is just a mood swing that I have every morning - it could be because of the building up of stress at work. I am going to try something different. I am going to wake up 2 hours early take my medication and then wake up later. To see if I can have my medicine start working and hopefully wake up in a better mood.
For me it's the build up of stress.

jajingna

jajingna

Don't forget about the "dawn phenomenon" where stress hormones are happening if you are up early

G

Ginger Kitten

That's potentially a good idea Mav, but what about disrupting your sleep? And there's no guarantee you will get back to sleep, either. As sleep is so crucial to stability in bipolar, I'd run this idea past your pdoc. S/he may have another suggestion that wouldn't cause sleep disruption. KR, Ginger.

G

Ginger Kitten

Mav, I had another thought: what about asking your pdoc about XR (extended, or modified, release) meds? These release gradually rather than the usual immediate-release tablets. I wonder if a gradual release of the medication might help to curb the morning agitation. The other thing that might help is releasing some of that mental tension physically: going for a run first thing or even running on the spot for a few minutes. Just an idea, and it might not work, but running on the spot was one of the ways I was taught to release pent-up anger and irritation.

Whatever you decide though, I do think your pdoc needs to be involved: excessive anger (especially coupled with anxiety) is never a good sign, with or without bipolar. Best wishes, Ginger.

BlackChalice47

BlackChalice47

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Morning is the worst part of my day. Everyone is grouchy in the morning but it’s to the point where I dwell on everything I hate about myself and where I’m at in life. It usually gets better when I drink caffeine and settle more into my work day but it’s hard for me to rationalize that when I wake up.

Second worst part of my day is the food coma after lunch. I think what it is is that I just absolutely despise being tired and especially not being able to sleep whenever I feel like it.

Definitely a crock full of first world problems, I know, but hey, I’m mentally ill and for as normal of a problem as this is, my reaction to it isn’t.

M

Mav2126

Been doing the waking up early now for 2 weeks and noticed a much better mood in the morning. Its working thank god. My shrink also shifted some of my Zyprexa to take in the morning instead of night. That may also have helped.

M

Mav2126

So just wanted to update everyone where I am at. My shrink shifted my medication to take more in the morning and it seems to be working. I have been OK in the mornings - no anger or anxiety. And I am able to go in a much better state to work. I am doing some things on my own too - like waking up at 5:30 in the morning to take my medication so the medication has time to start working before I wake up. I have also had problems of almost falling asleep when I drive to work - not good. So now I take 5 Hour Energy in the morning - equivalent of 2 cups of coffee and it keeps me very awake in the morning. So have made some adjustments and things are looking better now.