• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Anger issues

Anime-Alchemy

Anime-Alchemy

I get angry quickly but it's not shown outwardly. This anger then turns to thoughts and impulses of revenge. I'm worried about this.
The reasons for my anger are from thoughts of the past, thoughts of being seen as a walkover/weakling which again are from the past. Also I have major insecurity issues and that does lead me to get angry and in turn have revenge thoughts.

Also I think alot and when dealing with thoughts, if i'm unable to deal with them in a orderly way then I get angry also.

I'm getting some help, I've got an appointment tomorrow to see the crisis team. Does anyone else have this sort of problem?

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

I know what you mean. Sometimes things from the past make me angry to. I guess it is best to let it go so you can get on with things.

Good that you are honest about it.

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Do you have a fear that you might act on these thoughts, or is it more that you just don't like having this anger within you that you can't express?

I definitely relate to what you're saying.
Sometimes I get very irritable and sometimes a real rage comes over me.
It turns into angry thoughts and while I don't ever have thoughts of physical violence, I really wish I could tell people to fuck right off.

Obviously that's not a socially acceptable way to behave.
A lot of the time the triggers are seemingly insignificant too, but i'm flooded with memories and thoughts of other things that have wound me up and I seem to just end up tormenting myself. It is very stressful.:unsure:

I hope your meeting with the crisis team tomorrow goes ok.

Anime-Alchemy

Anime-Alchemy

Thank you for the replies. The thing about the past is that at the time of the incidents, it never got to me but now and in recent years, I look back at past events and it angers me.

The appointment with the crisis team went ok. I have another appointment next week. I have to make an appointment with the GP about my medication and I have to make a self referral for CBT/Therapy.

J

jeztepes

when i get angry sometimes i act in very focused violent out bursts, fine if its aimed at evil people , but also very dangerous as i can get hurt or in legal trouble , other times i run away and focus the anger internally which leads to feelings of weakness , faliure and suicide

revenge feelings fester and have to be dropped or they can turn to pyschosis or depression , not easy

where i am at the moment i am tearing myself to bits , one half want to commit suicide to escape the world the other half wants to go out and punish nasty evil people .. either way I am doomed .

ThereDone

ThereDone

I can tell you that I have had anger problems my entire life and I have gotten in fights over it and in trouble over it. I even got taken by police once.

There are many ways to deal with angers, some are healthy but moderately effective, others are less healthy but far more effective:

I often get angry thoughts, thoughts of violence, of screaming at people, punching them and so forth - but you can change them sort of by trying to think over why you're angry and most often I've experienced that it is because you're actually sad over things and when you delve into that you tend to get sad instead which makes your anger sort of vanish.

Another way is to take out your aggressions by exercising. I've gone to gyms to push weights, run (running is great for this) or even taking walks. This helps against anxiety too.

The third way I've found is that we often get the most agitated when we're hungry. Of course eating yourself calm is NOT healthy, but it can be effective. Eating calorie dense carbohydrate food will make you calm due to the substances that they often contain - sugars and fats that increase your serotonin levels.

Of course by the previous logic serotonin medicines will also help, but like I said; it isn't very healthy.

J

jeztepes

There done

in my experience exercise was a positive mood enhancer until recently ,, now it actually makes me more energised in a angry violent confrontational and suicidal way and is certainly not beneficial

eating to calm down can work but i have type 2 diabetes and a phobia of getting fat and overweight ..mmind u the long term health damage of diabetes pales in significance when dealing with immediate mental health crisis thats NOW !

Last edited by a moderator:
J

jimindigo

I found out recently that blame,anger,etc.,is a CHOICE!
And that 'I' am responsible for MY feelings,including anger.
I think the key word here,is RESPONSIBLE.

B

bonobo

Yeah, I can just change at a switch if I've been triggered by something.

It aint' healthy, babe.

ThereDone

ThereDone

I found out recently that blame,anger,etc.,is a CHOICE!
And that 'I' am responsible for MY feelings,including anger.
I think the key word here,is RESPONSIBLE.
Don't say that. You might be able to control your emotions all the time, but those of us that have had trouble with it and for long time - we can't do it the way you do it obviously. We need to find workarounds.

There done

in my experience exercise was a positive mood enhancer until recently ,, now it actually makes me more energised in a angry violent confrontational and suicidal way and is certainly not beneficial

eating to calm down can work but i have type 2 diabetes and a phobia of getting fat and overweight ..mmind u the long term health damage of diabetes pales in significance when dealing with immediate mental health crisis thats NOW !
I did also mention SSRI medicine. If you visit your doctor he can probably prescribe medicines that make life easier on you. My mother also had anger issues when I was little and it was a nightmarish time, but SSRI did make her temper diminish and it has worked pretty well for the entire duration she took them. SSRI will also help with other issues such as sadness, social anxiety and more - but it does come with a few side effects. Your doctor will know if it's healthy for you or not. Personally I don't think it is for me and I can control my urges pretty well for most of my time by the strategies I mentioned. I'm thinking that you might be different if you can live with the side effect. It is a long term medicine so you might not see results until you've taken them religiously for over 3 months or so.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

jimindigo

Clarify

I do NOT have a switch,nor can I hold my emotions in,tell me where
I said these things,and please don't say that!
I merely explained the concept,and that I had found it,I did NOT do
or say what you say I did or said.
The other point that I forgot,is,if we can accept that,then we take our
own power back into our own hands!