• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Angels and Demons

R

Ricky B

This is going to sound really crazy but I have heard voices, mainly demons, saying "I'm coming". I fear that the anti-Christ is coming because of me.

I'm not hungry, tired, although I am thirsty (the angels said that you have no hunger, tiredness or thirst in heaven).

God also spoke to me once and said: "I can't come to you; You have to come to me".

The angels and demons also told me about some things that were going to happen in the future that have since happened. This is going to sound mad but they told me about 9/11 and the Swine Flu.

The demons tricked me with 9/11, as I was an atheist and didn't believe in God, Satan or that it was possible to see the future. God wanted me to stop 9/11 and the demons told me because they knew I'd forget and would blame myself for this atrocity and the two wars in Iraq and Afghanistan in which hundreds of thousands of people have died.

I believe I warned people about the Swine Flu, because when I told one person in a busy street in London, I trusted her and she said 'Tell them', which I shouted out to everyone. The angels said that one of them (a believer who was going to heaven) would warn us, so I guess that's why we've been expecting a pandemic virus for a few years before Avian and Swine Flu got here.

Anyway, I'm saying all this, not to make myself look special or good, but because whenever I feel like telling people, I know that they're just going to say I'm crazy and such things aren't possible.

I think the angels want me to stop eating, sleeping and smoking, at which point they've showed me that that I will be hanged on a tree (It says in the Bible that anyone cursed by God will be hanged on a tree, like Judas Iscariot). But this is the only way, I think, that I can stop Satan escaping his cage and coming here to earth (and also set myself free).

Of course, I just want to live my life like everyone else and eat and drink and enjoy life as much as possible.

I wrote to the Archbishop of York and got a letter back saying I just need to have faith, hope and trust in God- that we are all sinners and my voices/ demons are just a journey of faith.

Of course, I know this all sounds unlikely and mad, but what do you think I should do? I just want to get on with my life, but if Satan escapes his cage then it's going to be a bloody battle and I will be responsible.

The voices/ demons have been threatening me for years, especially when I go to Church or pray, so I'm not frightened so much, but obviously very frightened that Satan will escape his cage and persecute humanity.

When I pass people in the street, some also touch their mouths and point down at the ground (a warning which means that if I eat I will go to hell).

It sounds mad, but what do you think about all this and what would you do?

T

terri

Hello RickyB

No, all you are saying does not sound mad. Far from it.

First, you need to understand that you are not cursed by God.

I don't know you, you know that, but what I do know is that incredibly sensitive people, deep thinkers, highly intelligent people, often become voice hearers and struggle because of what the voices say and tell the hearers what to do. I've had experience from both sides of the coin, I can assure you.

Under no circumstances carry out what they tell you to do, except, perhaps stop smoking. Then, of course, you need to do that your own way.

It's important you look after your physical health which in turn will bring benefits towards your mental health, but then I am sure you know that too.

I know how you feel, and isn't the bible just so confusing at times. Me, a regular church goer once upon a time who put all that on hold when 'Satan came out his pit for me'. Well, he wasn't called Satan then, but the Devil. Many people say they are one and the same, but to me that didn't appear to be the case. So empathy in full measure for you RickyB.

It's just so obvious that deeply spiritual people are the very people who find themselves under attack from unpleasant voices and visions.

You say you were athiest until 911. What a shock 911 was for everyone. It changed the life of our other new member, PayingRoommate, who went off and joined the Navy, with consequences which wring one's heart out.

911 was not your fault. The wars after were not your fault. The swine flu - not your fault. Satan coming out of the Pit, and he is already out RickyB, most definitely not your fault.

It's almost like a cross to bear. Very, very difficult at times. My advice to you is to try to remain calm, don't give in to fear, laugh at the voices when they show you something which is 'quite ridiculous', that you will be hanging from a tree to stop Satan escaping from his cage. Take a step back, without fear, at what the voices are saying. And then you will realise that giving credence to their 'statements' adds a roller coaster of fear and panic, which is a situation difficult to climb out of. One step at a time, keep moving, keep going, and don't forget to eat, take time out for rest, and should you toss and turn, don't bother, think tomorrow is another day.

What I am trying to say is, take what they say with a pinch of salt. Yes you have had foresight, for sure, but then so do many, many other people, another pointer towards understanding your sensitivity.

Hope this helps,

Terri x

T

ThePayingRoomate

I can only relate partially to your situation, that of an atheist suddenly confronted with voices and experiences that lacked the logical foundation I was used to. It was a serious test of my non-faith. Similarly I also ascribed a possible supernatural or religious meaning to them all, probably encouraged by my logical deduction that it could have been the result of my near-death experience that started it all... somehow opening a metaphysical doorway to my mind.

Beyond that, I cannot relate very well. The more I've looked into my diagnosed ailments, the more rational explanations I have found for my experiences and for me they made a lot of sense and helped. I'm sure that wouldn't be the case for everyone, nor do I have any way to challenge faith from a perspective of having none. It's a personal experience which is difficult and maybe impossible to prove one way or the other to another person... though many try, regardless.

From my perspective I'd highly recommend against following any advice from voices that demand harm directly or indirectly to yourself or others. From another perspective that could be seen as a crisis of faith where doubt is considered the tool of evil forces. If those doubts exist for a legitimate reason though, all of that suffering would be futile and a tragedy. If you feel there is a real and legitimate possibility that your voices are not entirely coming from a divine influence, or perhaps not coming from a divine influence at all, but rather manifesting in a self-destructive way that plays on the reasonable fears of evil, death, and repercussions in an afterlife... then I'd seriously suggest reflecting on such possibilities prior to doing yourself any harm, especially irreparable harm.

You seem to be acutely aware that you're hardly alone when it comes to your experiences given your frequent mention of how crazy your description could sound to others. They may differ in some details or many, but trying to determine whether the unique qualities of your experience as opposed to the unique qualities of theirs is enough to treat the voices more or less seriously will be a difficult one.

Hopefully you'll consider some of the other experiences here while facing that difficult situation. Many of us have voices that regularly play on our fears and intentionally cause us trouble... sometimes as demons, sometimes as silly as a sock thief, or even experiencing what may be transmissions of an imminent alien invasion. Sometimes we consider this very real. Sometimes we consider the experience to be very real even if we assume or know that they are not (even if that may not be until after the fact).

From my perspective this is all coming from the same mind, though others will obviously disagree. But from that perspective I know almost everyone with these malicious voices are not out to destroy themselves. They don't hate who they are and want to make their lives more difficult for themselves. But just like many complicated mechanisms of the mind, our experiences are not always reflective of reality. Memory gets corrupted as it fills in the blanks. Fears can evoke false sensation to help us avoid harm. Instincts promote behaviors that may be anachronistic in modern society... or cause us to do things even before we learn/experience why we should. My PTSD is probably a defense mechanism gone haywire. My voices may be a coping mechanism that is anachronistic for modern society.

This perspective makes sense to me. It could also be seen as planting seeds of doubt in your crisis of faith. Some evil force using an atheist as a tool of wickedness. We all have to figure out what to make of our experiences and craft our own perspectives. I wish you luck in getting through this and hope my perspective helps more than it hurts and does not come off as disrespectful of your unique experience in any way.

R

Ricky B

Hi Terri,

Thanks very much for your sound advice. It takes a great burden and fear from off my shoulders. It's nice to know that I'm not the only person who has been persecuted by voices/ demons.

Hopefully one day we'll all learn to live in peace and care for each other and feel more accepted, as voice hearers with sensitivity, rather than just labelled and brushed off as mentally ill and schizophrenics.

I have a little money set aside, so a long holiday would be good.

Thanks,
Ricky B

R

Ricky B

Hi Payingroomate,

Great advice. I'd never hurt myself or others, even when I was really ill back in 2003 I'd hear racist and abusive voices that would tell me to "hit him" or "kick him".

Fortunately I'm a pacifist, so the voices had no luck there!

I liked the way that you said we should take part, enjoy and craft our own experiences.

Thanks,
Ricky B