• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Anderson Cooper tries a schizophrenia simulator

SarahD

SarahD

It is interesting to see this. I have heard recordings that supposedly demonstrate what voices are like, but I think to some extent it is different for each person.

When they are bad it is impossible to concentrate. Mine are intermittent, but I find it difficult to be with other people when I have them. I am mostly on my own, so avoid that problem. But it is very difficult if I have to see someone when it is happening. Anyone got any ideas how to cope with this?

H

Haley

Thank you for the Anderson Cooper video. It really showed me what it's like for people with that problem. Does it all stem from unkind remarks made to one as a child? So it repeats?

E

Eigau

I would like to see a simulation done where actors are in a recording room watching cameras that are tracking the persons every step, so they can simulate how voices narrate your every movement and the thoughts of other people. I would also have actors spread out on the ground that the person does not know about, that will add to the suspense. EG A voice would say: Don't look back he's following you. And actually have an actor following you.

A key part of the simulation would be producing the increasing paranoia and suspense. But it's hard to say that a typical person would be able to handle it. This video is a gentle version in my opinion, but it got the message across.

E

Eigau

Thank you for the Anderson Cooper video. It really showed me what it's like for people with that problem. Does it all stem from unkind remarks made to one as a child? So it repeats?
Hi Haley, voice hearers tend to have their own beliefs regarding the origin of their voices. But from a psychological perspective, they can represent a trauma past or present that has been or is being repressed. Bullying as a child may be considered a trauma, but it can be a variety of things from abuse to brain tumours. I don't want to alarm anyone by getting too detailed.

Also it should be noted that voice hearing is not always negative, that's just what the tv, movies and media show a lot of. It can be a pleasant experience and many live with it without being diagnosed.

They do need to show more positive experiences to give others hope that voices can be different.

Take care, Te

Gajolene

Gajolene

I would like to have seen the full story, and not just the experiment in empathy. Feel there should be more to it than they show and yes agree the actors would really add to the experience. People laughing at you, mumbling about you and disappearing quickly, would be some to add that one of my boys experiences (JS)with his delusions. Maybe flashes of yourself on tv and through radio's as well. JD has halucinatory people come and dialogue with him. Luckily for him they are always positive and kind so he is neither afraid of them or paranoid of them.

D

dd2015

I am an example where my experiences of hearing voices were very positive, and not connected to any past abuse. I agree with forum member te.reo.orooro that more people need to know that hearing voices is not always a negative, devastating thing. My experiences were very spiritual and life changing. I have written about my experiences, and if you click on my nickname (dd2015) and go into the "About Me" tab you can find out more about my book, which I hope will help to educate the general public.

W

wellness

This is a good start to get better insight into the "Voices" ... particularly the constantly "ORDERING" you ... well there only this far you can get at IGNORING them but when they are continuously playing at you like some background music ... screaming NEGATIVITY is quite a challenge ....

fate_w_g

fate_w_g

Very good thread, if only David Cameron would do this and some more experiments to stimulate other MH conditions maybe he wouldn't be so quick to make the cuts he has made.

Again very good thread.