• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

An unusual anxiety disorder

catmommy

catmommy

I'm experiencing post-pandemic anxiety. Restrictions have lifted and I am not ready. I don't think I like people anymore. I enjoyed physical distancing, limiting contacts, self-isolating, not hugging or shaking hands. I still wear a mask indoors and out. I feel a tremendous pressure to return to normal. I just can't do it.....My life goal is to be a stay-at-home cat mom.

Novastars

Novastars

Restrictions have lifted and I am not ready
It's easier said than done but move at a pace that doesn't provoke bad anxiety in you. Just because a government tells us that it's ok to do this or that again, doesn't mean that we're all ready to do so. :)

fragrant_violet

fragrant_violet

Actually not unusual. Very very common including folk what never got anxiety issues before

Jolly

Jolly

Where I live we are the highest in the country and completely out of lockdown on Monday. Yes I am paranoid but have 3 tests a week and go shopping late when no one is around. Hubby does grocery shopping. My anxiety is quite high over this pandemic

jajingna

jajingna

It's been strange times for everybody. I noticed putting on my mask before entering a store has become an automatic habit now. Whenever the mask-wearing and all the rest goes away, that's gonna feel strange for a while just like needing the mask did a year ago.

2Much2Feel

Hi @catmommy, I think a lot of people can likely relate to what you're saying, so I don't think it's too unusual. I have been skipping social engagements the past couple of weeks, finally just realised I'm not up to it mentally. It is scary, and that year + of us being in isolation really built the anxiety up. For those of us already prone to anxiety, it has been really a tweaker. Even my sister, who has never had anxiety issues, was telling me she felt weird going out and wanted to skip everything and avoid people, v unlike her. So I think it's done a number on a lot of us, don't feel too alone in it. I've never been a huge fan of people in general, but this past 18 months has def left me feeling even more estranged from them, esp given the people who have acted v selfishly and all of the political and social divisions, it makes it hard to feel too warm and fuzzy towards others. But we will get through this, that is my hope. Frustrating as it all is, hopefully we will come out the other side (eventually) stronger. xx

S

sweetsaphie

I'm experiencing post-pandemic anxiety. Restrictions have lifted and I am not ready. I don't think I like people anymore. I enjoyed physical distancing, limiting contacts, self-isolating, not hugging or shaking hands. I still wear a mask indoors and out. I feel a tremendous pressure to return to normal. I just can't do it.....My life goal is to be a stay-at-home cat mom.
Your not alone love, i too feel the same I do go for my shopping , but it is in and out as fast as i can go i feel safe in the house. most of it is my anxiety and depression . but i think i could live like this now.

Jolly

Jolly

I feel the same too. We are out of lockdown on the 19 may and not looking forward to it at all. We are in the top 5 of the country with the virus again and our numbers are going up quite a lot on a daily basis. My hubby does the shopping but if I need to go to a shop I go after 6 when quiet. I am really anxious about this.

FallingLeaves

FallingLeaves

Hi @catmommy - I don't think you're alone in feeling this way.

On the one hand I am grateful that things will be going back to a bit of 'normal' soon but I don't feel any strong urges to go out and mix with people all that much. Maybe have one or two people to my house, or go over and see family/friends at theirs, but mixing in big groups in public places doesn't hold much appeal for me anymore. Certainly not shaking hands with strangers - yuk.

Can you stay at home and be a cat mum? Are you able to do your job from home maybe?

catmommy

catmommy

This is an update......my 're-entry anxiety' (that's the new name for this particular condition, according to the media) has greatly improved since my original post.

I've been showering, doing my hair and makeup and getting out a lot more.

I did it in baby steps. I'm retired and still lead a quiet, little life but I have less fear.

I want to thank all the wonderful people on this forum who gave me support and encouragement.