• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

An almost unbelievable story

C

Chris Clark

To make a long story as short as I can, I've been living in the Philippines, for over eight years, while collecting US Social Security Disability benefits for my disabilities. As a child I was diagnosed with several learning disabilities, but it was not until I was fifty that I was fully diagnosed, and put on SSDI (I may be a high functioning schizophrenic). When I went on SSDI my income went way down, so I was faced with either becoming homeless in US, or moving overseas. Recently the living situation where I'm at has become very untenable, and at the moment I'm under a great deal of stress due to threats which have been made against me by neighbors. I feel that my life may be in danger, and right now I'm having trouble eating and sleeping. I've tried contacting the embassy, but they tell me that they cannot get involved in civil matters. Actually, I don't even think they listen to my complaint. I would like advice on how to obtain help returning to the US as soon as possible. Unfortunately it is not as cheap to live here as I thought, and I don't have any savings, and I'm living hand to mouth. Help!

Jolly

Jolly

So very sorry to hear of your situation. The forum will be around shortly to help and support. Take care

Foxjo

Foxjo

Hi and welcome to the forum!
Hopefully some of our USA Members will come across your thread and offer some support and advice for you.
Hugs
Fox

S

singsongfun

Tell the local police that you have overstayed your visa and get deported back to the USA for free. Cashback!

C

Chris Clark

Tell the local police that you have overstayed your visa and get deported back to the USA for free. Cashback!
Maybe, but they might also try and slap me with a huge fine, or also throw me in jail. But, it is an idea. I think that maybe what I need is a higher level person to contact the State Dept. on my behalf, but that doesn't seem likely.

C

Chris Clark

Also, if anyone from the US is reading this, can you please try calling the below numbers and let me know what happens? I've asked friends and relatives in the US to call these two numbers on my behalf, but they've told me that they get put on hold for an hour, and then they get disconnected. The purpose of these two numbers is supposedly to assist US citizens having trouble overseas, but not sure if they are really staffed?

1-800-407-4747
1-888-407-4747

C

Chris Clark

I sent an email to the state dept. today, letting them know about my situation, but right now it isn't looking good. If anyone can do anything to please help, I would greatly appreciate it.

F

fragrant_violet

This is not how it works in that shithole of a country.

You will be put in immigration jail until you have paid the money for the new visa and the overstay fine. If you cant pay you could be stuck in jail for years.

The US embassy is generally regarded as the worst in the world

F

fragrant_violet

To make a long story as short as I can, I've been living in the Philippines, for over eight years, while collecting US Social Security Disability benefits for my disabilities. As a child I was diagnosed with several learning disabilities, but it was not until I was fifty that I was fully diagnosed, and put on SSDI (I may be a high functioning schizophrenic). When I went on SSDI my income went way down, so I was faced with either becoming homeless in US, or moving overseas. Recently the living situation where I'm at has become very untenable, and at the moment I'm under a great deal of stress due to threats which have been made against me by neighbors. I feel that my life may be in danger, and right now I'm having trouble eating and sleeping. I've tried contacting the embassy, but they tell me that they cannot get involved in civil matters. Actually, I don't even think they listen to my complaint. I would like advice on how to obtain help returning to the US as soon as possible. Unfortunately it is not as cheap to live here as I thought, and I don't have any savings, and I'm living hand to mouth. Help!
If your in Manila, you will need to go to the embassy in person

If not and you dont got money, you need someone to send you a remittance so that at least you can move into one of those cheap pensions or ST hotels.

Remittances can be sent cheap and fast by Western Union online. You dont even need an address, just name as in passport and fon number

C

Chris Clark

If your in Manila, you will need to go to the embassy in person

If not and you dont got money, you need someone to send you a remittance so that at least you can move into one of those cheap pensions or ST hotels.

Remittances can be sent cheap and fast by Western Union online. You dont even need an address, just name as in passport and fon number
I don't live anywhere near Manila, I'm actually in the Cebu area. I don't really have that much family back home, which is one of the reasons I had to move here when I went on Social Security. What do you think are the odds that the US State Dept will eventually do something to help me out of here?

F

fragrant_violet

I don't live anywhere near Manila, I'm actually in the Cebu area. I don't really have that much family back home, which is one of the reasons I had to move here when I went on Social Security. What do you think are the odds that the US State Dept will eventually do something to help me out of here?
Its a question of getting hold of the embassy consular staff. US dont got a consul in Cebu. But they might have an honorary consul in Cebu area.

I know a black American in Cebu called Ken who has survived a lot of trouble but is skint. If I can find out his fon number I'll send you. He may know what to do.

Do you got any American buddies here who you can turn to? Even just put you up for a few days till you work out what to do.

If you live on your neighbors property and owe them pissos - I'd definitely get out quick.

F

fragrant_violet

Its the embassy's job to help its citizens who get into trouble. But like anything these days you gotta kick up a fuss to get heard

C

Chris Clark

Its a question of getting hold of the embassy consular staff. US dont got a consul in Cebu. But they might have an honorary consul in Cebu area.

I know a black American in Cebu called Ken who has survived a lot of trouble but is skint. If I can find out his fon number I'll send you. He may know what to do.

Do you got any American buddies here who you can turn to? Even just put you up for a few days till you work out what to do.

If you live on your neighbors property and owe them pissos - I'd definitely get out quick.
No, unfortunately I don't know anyone over here. To be honest with you, my life hasn't been too good here, as I'm not allowed to leave the compound by myself, I'm disabled, and I haven't really been in control of my own life for several years. Even before this, I was thinking to reach out to someone because I kind of consider myself to be victim of elder abuse, due to my isolation, and lack of control.

Right now I have two people in the states trying to call those 1-800 numbers I posted above, and I've sent an email through the state dept's main website, because I don't think the people in the embassy were understanding what I was trying to tell them.

No, I don't live on anyone else's property, my wife owns her own plot, but our plot is inside the same compound as some other family members, and they are the ones causing trouble. No, I don't owe anyone money, in fact, they owe me money, but you probably know how that works over here. Sounds like my best bet is to kick up a fuss and hope for the best, otherwise things aren't too good.

C

Chris Clark

Well, the embassy emailed me a form authorizing them to release my info while speaking to others, I returned it to them, then later someone called me to say that they will email me more paperwork on Monday, so maybe there is finally some light at the end of the tunnel.

S

singsongfun

Well, the embassy emailed me a form authorizing them to release my info while speaking to others, I returned it to them, then later someone called me to say that they will email me more paperwork on Monday, so maybe there is finally some light at the end of the tunnel.
That's great news Chris. Hopefully they can get you back home.