• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Amenorrhea

S

swan

I was just curious as to whether anyone has experienced amenorrhea (periods stopping) due to not eating enough/being too underweight? I was worried it may have been the case for me until my period finally came last night but it still had me panicking that it could stop or become really irregular. Is there a certain BMI that would trigger the onset amenorrhea or is it more based on the amount of calories you're eating?

S

*Sapphire*

TBH I have had amenorrhea at different weights, when I was a teenager my periods did not stop at all, even at BMI 13 which the doctors said was unheard of (I now know it is not unheard of having head of others having periods at such a low weight) and I had to have an ovarian scan to prove it.

My last relapse my periods stopped pretty shortly after starting to lose weight and I didn't get them back until I reached BMI 17-18. I didn't have them for 2 years or so I think.

At different times in your life I think your body allocates its resources differently, who knows. I also think other factors in your life such as stress can have an effect.

S

*Sapphire*

Amenorrhea can have devastating effects on your health though. I now have osteopoenia a pre-cursor to osteoporosis. Womens abilities to absorb calcium in their bones rely on a level of hormones. If your periods stop is likely your bones will suffer.

It can also effect your fertility. One girl I know who suffered with an eating disorder had an ovarian scan and was told this by the nurse "your ovaries have packed their cases and will never come back". She was still very young. She will never be able to have children.

If your periods stop or become irregular and you are underweight, then it is a sign that things are not right at all. I would get some help with it if you haven't already. Eating disorders have the highest mortality rate than any other mental illness. They shouldn't be taken lightly.

K

Kate31

Once my BMI drops below 17 my periods stop - i've got ostopienia as a result too and am unable to conceive.
I agree that if your period has stopped then your body is likely to be malnourished and i'd recommend getting blood tests done/seeing your GP.

S

swan

I'm definitely still having periods, most definitely, I just wanted to get some more information on amenorrhea since I could nothing of much substance through google. Thanks for the eye-opener, though.

geekchic182

geekchic182

My BMI is only slightly underweight (i think 18.4) but I've experienced amenorhoea due to not eating enough, yet it could also be stress related. I was quite worried so when I last had a blood test I had a hormone test done as well to check my female hormone levels which were normal, so its most likely due to stress in my case