• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Ambient noise and Paranoia/voices

M

mwake

Just wanted to express my self here. I suffer occasionally from paranoia that is increases in times of stress. But one huge feature of this paranoia that I have discovered is that if I am surrounded by ambient noises such as the fans inside the computer, music from the radio, people chattering outside, etc then the paranoia decreases as soon as I switch off noisy devices of at home and I don't hear the paranoia in the same way.

Sometimes I do hear a self critical voice which I guess I,ve always had but I that feel more like my 'natural/normal' conscience which is unhappy.

The loud paranoia just switches off when I'm in relative silence...I do like computers and stuff but I'm having to seriously think about cutting down my usage of this as a way of recapturing some sort of sanity.

To be honest if it wasn't for computers I would be doing stuff outside a lot more. And outside I rarely get paranoid its mainly indoors.

Just wondering if anybody experiences or understands or can relate to what I'm saying here

Thanks for reading.

D

diddypinks

ACCOUNT CLOSED
hi

hello there i myself have a supersensitivity to sound i can hear things sometimes that no one else can its a hypervigilance that i have developed to cope ith dangerous situation so if i am talking to someone and there is someone outside talking to someone else i cant concentrate becuase i am more concerened with the noise. if my neighbours are talking i often think its about me in a critical way. i hear my own version of a noise hope that makes sense good luck diddy

D

dlzoidberg

Just seen this post.

I have already posted about my noise problems, the worst for me is the traffic. I am now starting to hear a drum beat, which cannot be good!

W

whiteeagle

Yes, I can absolutely relate. I never had heard any voices, even though I worked with computers, until I started regularly using a home computer for very long hours at one time without any other sound around. Then I started hearing voices. I find putting a music CD on in the computer counteracts the effect to some degree.

Bluemoon

Bluemoon

Founding Member
RE: mwake

Yes I put up with the same problems each day. I spend quite a few hours on a computer each day as well. At work it's hardly a problem but at home, if I'm on my desktop or laptop after a while I begin to hear voices ( like the next door neighbours slagging me off ) and some times when I stop they will blend back in to the background. Then all I hear is the fan inside the machine. I don't know, maybe its our minds way of bullying us to spend less time on our computers. You should take a break every hour for 15 minutes when on a computer but I don't always take that advice so it's my own fault.

Putting a CD on does help, but it's more distracting for when you are concentrating on reading etc.

Varying your day so you have as many hours off as on your computer could be worth trying out. I know it's something I'm working on - but it's hard, because computers are so engaging and interactive. Better than staring at a TV screen for hours :D.

M

mwake

Its comforting to realise that I'm not alone. Big thank you!! I think its a combination between super-sensitivity that Diddypinks talks about and my own self critical paranoia. I do switch on music like Whiteegle, but I feel that that I have to come to face the fact that I have to find a way of limiting my usage on the Computer like Bluemoon because I think that sometimes I just potter around on it surfing just as a way of escaping my real problems, ironically it doesn't feel like I've got very far running away from them as my paranoia reminds me sometimes that its still there whilst riding Google's wave...!

P.S. - I am finding this book a brilliant and rewarding read with regards to my mental Health- The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Power-Now-G...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1253637899&sr=8-1)

Has anybody heard of him? There's some stuff on youtube too about him!

Bluemoon

Bluemoon

Founding Member
Its comforting to realise that I'm not alone.
On this board, none of us are alone no matter how strange or unique our symptoms seem to appear. It must've been really hard before the internet when people couldn't share their experiences so easily and anonymously. Many people might have feared that their experiences were unique to them. I keep coming back here because it's so refreshing to discuss all things mental health with people who truly understand what I'm talking about where I would just get a confused look from most others.

P.S. - I am finding this book a brilliant and rewarding read with regards to my mental Health- The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Power-Now-G...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1253637899&sr=8-1)

Has anybody heard of him? There's some stuff on youtube too about him!
I have that book too and it's a very empowering book. The present can be very enriching and amazing when we are mostly if not completely focused in it. I remember when I was well and I could recite page after page of material for presentations at university or pull back all sorts of facts learned over the years for exams or deep assignments. I've never had my focus back like that since I became unwell but today at work I was able to focus on a hard problem on and off for a couple of hours and get it solved. That book has helped me on the way, I'm going to have to read it again now you've brought it up (y).

I will check out Youtube, thanks for letting me know.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Hearing Voices Forum 9