• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

• Safety Notice: This section on Psychiatric Drugs/Medications enables people to share their personal experiences of using such drugs/medications. Always seek the advice of your doctor, psychiatrist or other qualified health professional before making any changes to your medications or with any questions you may have regarding drugs/medications. In considering coming off psychiatric drugs it is very important that you are aware that most psychiatric drugs can cause withdrawal reactions, sometimes including life-threatening emotional and physical withdrawal problems. In short, it is not only dangerous to start taking psychiatric drugs, it can also be dangerous to stop them. Withdrawal from psychiatric drugs should only be done carefully under experienced clinical supervision.

Ambien dosage and sleep duration

F

Faceplant

Hello,

I have been prescribed 10mg of Ambien for sleep but I have been splitting the pill in half and taking 5mg a night. However at 5mg I only sleep about 4 hours. If I take 10mg will I sleep longer, or is the higher dose only useful if the 5mg doesn't put you to sleep? Anyone tried 5mg vs 10mg, does the higher dosage make you sleep longer?

Thanks

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
I think it is more complicated that how much you take.

I have zopiclone, and if i take one tablet then i sleep for 10 hours and am tired all day. The second night i sleep less and less and so on.

I know someone who was taking zopiclone every night for years and only managed 2-3 hours per night.

If i take it on Monday, i sleep well Monday night, if i don't take anything on Tuesday, it is harder to sleep just because of that 'fake' sleep the night before.

I personally would prefer a medication that makes me well and sleep every night than have a sleeping tablet. They are the most useless tablets as are very temporary. They are for severe emergencies only.

F

Faceplant

Have you tried taking 1/2 a tablet, would you still sleep 10 hours or would you sleep less?

I have no hangover effect at all, but usiing only 1/2 tablet (5mg) gives me only 4 hours sleep. I just want to know if I take the full 10mg will I sleep longer?