• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Am I wrong for not being able to sleep???

M

Mikemilly

I try so hard but can’t it’s literally draining it sucks

Bod

Bod

If I struggle to sleep then I have a read of one of my books till I start to feel sleepy as it can help, so please try to get upset if you struggle to sleep but it might be an idea to maybe talk to your GP doctor too.

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

hi lack of sleep can be really debilitating x maybe try some sleep meds for the short term? x lots of love x

A

ALLNMYHEAD

It happens to everyone at some point. Sleep is very important and there is no shame in using a sleep aid to get the sleep your body needs.

I have had sleeping issues since August 7th of this year. I have had nights where I never fell asleep. My issue is severe nerve issues in my head that so far hasnt be diagnosed as anything specific but we are still working on that. For now the Doc has me on 2 different meds to take at bedtime. With the help of those I have been able to average about 3 hours of sleep per night. Thats not near enough, but its better than nothing and I am convinced that those meds have saved my life.

If you need help sleeping dont be afraid to ask your doctor. If its anxiety that is keeping you up at night that will probably be an easy fix. Nobody is perfect.

Novastars

Novastars

I try so hard
Maybe this is part of the problem, sounds like you put too much pressure on yourself?

Do you know why you're unable to sleep? It's always better to solve the cause instead of the effect, if possible.

I've never had trouble sleeping until this last week and have had a small taste of what it's like for you and how a lack of sleep has such an detrimental effect on the quality of life. I'm really sorry you have this problem.

I seem to be recommending CBD oil in every other post but taking it an hour before intended sleep could help you to be more relaxed and able to doze off.
Hope you find a solution soon.

fragrant_violet

fragrant_violet

I actually went two weeks once without sleeping at all. It was horrible. Mistakenly come turkey off a large dose of xanax. Psychiatrist error. The idiot wasn't listening.

Yeah, by all means take meds for sleep. Antipsychotics low dose or antihistamines like mirtazapine will do it.

Worry about sleep is just worry. Don't try and force yourself. Rearrange your bedroom so you get a different part of the ceiling to stare at. Listen to Classic FM.

Lack of sleep is not life-threatening

S

Strongvoice

If your body doesn’t want to sleep then don’t fight it, trying to sleep is the worst, it makes an hour feel like an eternity. Best bet is to sit up and put something on tv or something, and the main advise is (don’t try to sleep) f**k it, your body doesn’t want to do it so don’t force it. Your main problem is probably the fact your brain is firing on a more aware and higher level, your probably self analysing things too much and wondering why you see things others don’t.. you’ll then think your wierd or different and take that to bed with you, the truth is your just on a higher level and your not believing in yourself, happens a lot with intelligent people, they don’t understand why people do things because they can see the bigger picture of how it effects everything around them. You’ll take that uncertainty to bed with you and over think.. once you believe/ know your above them and your right (super hard to do when your an empathic person) you’ll sleep like a baby because you won’t have worry’s anymore!! Peace out homie.. your not the problem.. everyone else is but your so intelligent your blaming yourself because your different, but your different because they are all stupid!! They sleep great because “ignorance is bliss”

M

Mikemilly

Thank you guys so much for the love still haven’t slept yet my anxiety is just been on a all time high these past weeks I can’t sleep at all I tried using white noise an it helps altitude I’ll sleep for a hour or two threw out the day not near enough of sleep that I need but better than nothing

L

LouieLou

IMO I disagree lack of adequate sleep can screw you as I know as I have had a work related depressive breakdown. There are lots of sleeping aids you can try to and help restore you to your usual sleeping pattern.
Lack of sleep since 06/2021 and I'm under daily home treatment team visits after crashing

L

LouieLou

It happens to everyone at some point. Sleep is very important and there is no shame in using a sleep aid to get the sleep your body needs.

I have had sleeping issues since August 7th of this year. I have had nights where I never fell asleep. My issue is severe nerve issues in my head that so far hasnt be diagnosed as anything specific but we are still working on that. For now the Doc has me on 2 different meds to take at bedtime. With the help of those I have been able to average about 3 hours of sleep per night. Thats not near enough, but its better than nothing and I am convinced that those meds have saved my life.

If you need help sleeping dont be afraid to ask your doctor. If its anxiety that is keeping you up at night that will probably be an easy fix. Nobody is perfect.
Can I ask what you have been prescribed?

Wishbone

Wishbone

I’ll sleep for a hour or two threw out the day not near enough of sleep that I need but better than nothing
Look around this site and you'll see endless complaints about not being able to sleep, it's a common thing for those with mental health problems. The problem we get is it turns a little bit 'chicken or the egg' in that you either can't sleep because you feel a certain way, or you feel a certain way because you can't sleep. A vicious circle is created either way, whichever comes first.
But everyone should always remember that sleep is part of the body clock that exists within us all and when that gets disturbed so does everything else. Sleep really needs to be in a pattern. It sounds like your body clock has shifted and it now expects you to sleep a little in the day, reducing or stopping what you get at night. The trick is to re-set this pattern. That means no sleeping in the day even though your body will be craving it for a little while. Wake early at the same time and go to bed at the same time. A pattern will soon form whereby you are sleeping at night when you should be. At the same time as doing this you need to be dealing with the anxiety of course, as what is on your mind is clearly playing a part in not letting you settle. Deal with these things together and you should sleep. It's not always about meds; our own chemicals govern the way we work too remember, sometimes we need to give them a helping hand in terms of routine but sometimes they do need an extra kick in terms of medications added, but that should only be a short-term fix to help re-establish the pattern.

A

ALLNMYHEAD

Can I ask what you have been prescribed?
Lunesta 3mg
Amitriptyline 25mg

The Ami is actually mostly used as an anti depressant (im not depressed) but its also known to work well for headaches and cause drowsiness which is why I was prescribed it. I usually take it about 7pm and then an hour later take the Lunesta as kind of a knockout punch to put me to sleep. It works well for about 3-4 hours and then I am awake again. Hopefully this is just a temporary band aid until they can figure out what the root cause of all of this is. I know I have anxiety but the crap I have been dealing with for the last 6 weeks sure as heck aint anxiety.

BEASTMODEWARRIOR

BEASTMODEWARRIOR

I try so hard but can’t it’s literally draining it sucks
Im not trying get attention, im also having this issue lately my family is keeping awake, putting laundry early in the morning, trying to sleep im very sleep deprive, i take sleep aids but im scared to take them tonight it might to potent and im scared i wont wake up, my bp is under 140/90 pulse 105, but my pulse always been high, never died yet but very sleep deprive. What do i do? If you want to help me, ill just figure out myself, its okay.