• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Am I weak for going back on medication?

• Thread starter Irrationallyrational
  • Start date
I

Irrationallyrational

I've been off medication for a number of months now because my lovely BPD brain told me it didn't want to put poison into my body anymore. But I've just spoke to a doctor and I've been put back on medication starting tomorrow. Am I weak? I didn't even try to put up a fight, I just accepted the prescription. Why do I have to rely on medication just to get me through the day?

lilbit

lilbit

It's not weak at all- you've taken advice from a doctor. If medication helps then do what you need to do to get better. Be kind to yourself :)

S

Sugaree

I have to rely on alot of different meds to get me through the day. I understand your wanting to be medication free. My meds are all connected.I have high blood pressure and take 5 meds for that,I need pain meds for migraines and arthritis in my back and neck. Anxiety meds to keep blood pressure down and antidepressant so I deal with the fact I am on so many meds. I still take my meds but I HATE that I have too. You are not alone and you are definitely not weak because you need meds. You are probably alot younger than I am,it took me years to accept what I needed to be “normal”. Good luck and keep posting :hug:

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
May I ask what medication it is?

I don't think you're weak, do you think everyone who takes a painkiller for a headache is weak or an antibiotic for an infection?

Some of us just need a little help with our conditions, my meds are pretty much essential for mine and I'm likely to be on them for life, I see them as a weapon in my arsenal, some of my weapons are psychological warfare (like the skills I learned from CBT) and some are chemical.

Were the allied forces weak for using the atom bomb to end a war? You use any weapon at your disposal to get peace and save lives. If medication saves your life (I've heard BPD suicide rates are pretty high) is it not worth it?

I

Irrationallyrational

May I ask what medication it is?

I don't think you're weak, do you think everyone who takes a painkiller for a headache is weak or an antibiotic for an infection?

Some of us just need a little help with our conditions, my meds are pretty much essential for mine and I'm likely to be on them for life, I see them as a weapon in my arsenal, some of my weapons are psychological warfare (like the skills I learned from CBT) and some are chemical.

Were the allied forces weak for using the atom bomb to end a war? You use any weapon at your disposal to get peace and save lives. If medication saves your life (I've heard BPD suicide rates are pretty high) is it not worth it?
It's Sertraline.
I don't know, i wanted to take herbal alternatives but I stopped doing that. I just feel like I should have my life together by now without relying on meds.
No meds ever seem to work though

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
Have you had DBT at all? I hear a lot of people who have BPD have had it.

D

Dagoon

Trying to get DBT is like playing the lottery lol. Ive been trying to get it here in Wales but you have to pay 🤷‍♀️🤦‍♀️

D

Dagoon

I've been off medication for a number of months now because my lovely BPD brain told me it didn't want to put poison into my body anymore. But I've just spoke to a doctor and I've been put back on medication starting tomorrow. Am I weak? I didn't even try to put up a fight, I just accepted the prescription. Why do I have to rely on medication just to get me through the day?
Hi no your not weak, I came off for a year and I had to go back on medication, I tried not too as my bpd doesn't like me taking medication, but it was either that or I was going to go crazy. The thoughts etc were really bad and I started to hurt myself so im calm now that I'm on them. I am on sertraline 200 mg its the highest but when I tried to lower them it got to much so I put them back up.
We are not weak for this. We need that extra help. Its not like we can control these damn moods. So we need relief or it gets painful.

M

MYTIMEHASCOME

I don’t take any medication any more but it’s personal preference the side effects killed me, that doesn’t make me strong coz I don’t take medicine and it doesn’t make you weak for going back on them! You gotta do what makes you feel better! You’re a strong person for realising you need help! I respect you :hug:

D

Dagoon

I don’t take any medication any more but it’s personal preference the side effects killed me, that doesn’t make me strong coz I don’t take medicine and it doesn’t make you weak for going back on them! You gotta do what makes you feel better! You’re a strong person for realising you need help! I respect you :hug:
Exactly it depends on your illness at that time, I managed for a year without, but when im not on them when my bpd acts up it causes severe headaches from what I dont know. Fighting it I guess. But I have trouble sleeping etc so I take them. 🤗

I

Irrationallyrational

I haven't, it's not really offered where I am in the UK. And plus they still haven't given me my BPD diagnosis. I had an assessment a few months ago and I'm really unhappy with the write up the psychiatrist gave me. She only said I have anxiety and depression (which I have alongside BPD)
It's so frustrating because I know my own body and I know my own mind.

M

MYTIMEHASCOME

I haven't, it's not really offered where I am in the UK. And plus they still haven't given me my BPD diagnosis. I had an assessment a few months ago and I'm really unhappy with the write up the psychiatrist gave me. She only said I have anxiety and depression (which I have alongside BPD)
It's so frustrating because I know my own body and I know my own mind.
You will find that they are hesitant to give people the BPD diagnosis because it can impact the treatment you get in the sense that it has a negative stigma even with people in the field of mental health - dbt is seen as difficult to treat and treatment resistant I was like you they diagnosed me as depression / anxiety at first but I knew something else was wrong x

B

Burntout

Medication doesn't mean anyone is weak. If it's something that works for you then I think it's great. I keep trying to work up the courage to get back on something but I never can so I just stay in this downward spiral. I hope the medication works for you ❤

C

celticlass

Why do we consider ourselves week because we need medication to help us maintain a healthy level of mental functioning? We all know society gives us this message while saying our physical ailments are 'deserving' of treatment! I have tried it both ways and thrown the tablets to one side in defiance. Not now. My enjoyment of life has to become paramount. I need my interactions with my family and friends to go well. I don't want to wake up in the morning like death and with no will to face the day. So my choice is to take assistance. If I were in a close relationship and with a stable life (I do have that now) I might re-evaluate. And so it is to you to pick your way through this.