• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Am I Starving?

jacquelinx

jacquelinx

I’ve been getting intensely hungry every few hours. It actually hurt this morning.

Context: I work a lot and don’t have much time to eat, or I at least don’t allow myself much tome to eat.

I get one break a day within a 9-10 hour period and work in fairly manual labor. I head in about an hour early (a few others do as well) and for breakfast, I’ll grab a bag of chips and cookies out of my bag after setting everything up, and maybe an iced coffee depending. I try to save as much money as possible. For our lunch break close to noon, I usually take a 15-20 minute break and for much of the day try to stay as busy as possible because working means less time to think and I’ve been struggling with depression, so I work almost constantly. I think this results in me burning many more calories than I take in and yes, my lunch is also chips or crackers or maybe a cup of noodles if I feel like if I have the time. I could take a 30 minute break but I feel like it’s rude to the people out in front and I feel bad about sitting down when they’re busting their asses and already short staffed from putting people on break, but it also pays well. I’ve been told that I do too much or that I should sit down, but the people are grateful for it and it gives me usually some little crumb of validation. :’P And then when I get home, I eat a proper dinner usually consisting of pasta because my family loves that stuff.

It just sucks because I woke up a few days, went to work, and after a short while started getting intense hunger pains that I just had to push through until I finished setting things up. Earlier, I finished an ice cream dessert and then a fettuccini Alfredo dish and was still intensely hungry afterwards so now I’m heating up an egg roll. I’m already underweight and have been for a while.

Zackthemaniac

Zackthemaniac

Doing manual labor and being busy all day like you describe burns calories. Im not a doctor, but id say you need to take a proper break with a decent lunch to rest and nourish your body. I think you'll feel a lot better. It sounds like you're a little to hard on yourself.

P

Purpleplum

It doesn't sound like ED disorder behavior but you're definitely not taking care of yourself. Why are you wanting to punish yourself?

jacquelinx

jacquelinx

It doesn't sound like ED disorder behavior but you're definitely not taking care of yourself. Why are you wanting to punish yourself?
I’m not even trying to punish myself, I mostly just worry that if I don’t work hard enough I won’t be as valued. It’s a validation-seeking thing. And a lot of people compliment me on my work ethic already and have developed pretty high standards of me, so for me to work at that pace is virtually expected now.

P

Purpleplum

I’m not even trying to punish myself, I mostly just worry that if I don’t work hard enough I won’t be as valued. It’s a validation-seeking thing. And a lot of people compliment me on my work ethic already and have developed pretty high standards of me, so for me to work at that pace is virtually expected now.
That's punishing yourself. You're so desperate for validation that you'd risk your health.

jacquelinx

jacquelinx

That's punishing yourself. You're so desperate for validation that you'd risk your health.
I see it as being terrified of someone disliking me or the boss getting angry at me, I don’t take criticism well at all.

P

Purpleplum

I see it as being terrified of someone disliking me or the boss getting angry at me, I don’t take criticism well at all.
But you're getting angry and criticizing yourself in return. Don't let people have that power.

M

Mary26

I can tell you that if I ate snack foods instead of meal food
(no protein in your diet?) I'd be passed out cold. I can eat a tuna sandwich in the same amount of time as it takes to eat chips and cookies. During a 20 minute break you should be able to eat a whole meal, if this really about time....