• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Am I possibly narcissistic

M

Manson88

I’m a 22 year old male and I always knew there was something up with me and it could be narcissism. My dad is definitely a narcissist or a sociopath like I’m 100% sure, so maybe this could be genetics.

I’m a bit different than him though because I do have anxiety, and also social anxiety. But I love it when I’m not anxious and I can be loud around my friends and then I’m usually a massive **** especially to other people. Like when I’m not anxious it’s as if I like to boast and show how confident I am. I have empathy but usually it’s mainly towards my family and animals. But I do feel sorry for some people.

I often daydream of myself having massive success, being rich, and seeing people’s reaction to my successes. Also I’m not sure why but I want to be a psychopath kind of? And if I am a narcissist it would make me feel even better about myself idk why, I guess I always wanted to be fucked up. Like in films I love psychos and I wanna be one, and this could be do to my ego? I’m definitely not a psycho because I do have anxiety and I am extremely patriotic and psychos usually don’t feel such strong connections to their heritage.

Also I had one serious relationship and once we became official I became more distant with her because I felt like I achieved what I wanted and after that I just couldn’t be bothered to really meet with her or try. I didn’t want to but I just became very uninterested in her. Eventually it ended and it felt good because she always wanted to meet up and it became annoying, from a mutual friend I heard that she was very depressed for like 6 months whereas I was fine.

When there is someone that I hate I sometimes daydream about like hurting them in a painful way, sounds fucked up but I wouldn’t ever do it. Overall I would say my ego is fragile, either I’m very happy and confident or the opposite and it feels like my world is ending.
Lastly I kind of enjoy seeing my friends fail or see something bad happening to them. Like if a friend gets addicted to gambling, or like even cigarettes it makes me feel happy because I know these are stupid addictions and I don’t have these so I won’t have to spend money on these stupid things. Makes me feel better I guess.
Could you tell me if I am possibly some kind of narcissist? And what type of narcissist? Or am I just not a nice person lol

A

Am33

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Everyone has seeds of narcissism in them. It stems from our egos which is like a computer program that takes over our actions when we don't make mindful decisions .Letting our egos take over will cause you to become more and more narcissistic . Life is like a staircase if you take one step down you will become more and more narcissistic until its a downward spiral and you become a sociopath which leads to suffering .Or you take one step up and become more mindful of your choices seek to overcome the ego . Read Mary Shelly's classic Frankenstein that's
a story about the ego. How it ultimately becomes a monster and cause destruction and in the end kills the doctor who created it.

R

Rocky97

I feel like most narcissists wouldn't question if they are a narcissist. So if you are one, you are likely on the lower end of the spectrum. Seems like probably just some self esteem issues, some growing pains (you are young), and maybe some anxiety. The envisioning bad things happening to other people could be intrusive thoughts. I have them too.

K

Keesha

I feel like most narcissists wouldn't question if they are a narcissist. So if you are one, you are likely on the lower end of the spectrum. Seems like probably just some self esteem issues, some growing pains (you are young), and maybe some anxiety. The envisioning bad things happening to other people could be intrusive thoughts. I have them too.
Lol Completely agree. A narcissist most likely won’t know what the word is nor would they ever think they were one and even IF they did know, they wouldn’t care.

M

Mizou

Do you feel like headeack when you wake dream a narcissic situations? Because i have the same problems...

GretaVon

GretaVon

Manson, you probably are not a narcissist.

You wonder if you are.
You feel empathy to some people.
You feel sorry for some people.

A narc wouldn't.

You might have high narcissistic traits, but not NPD.

Wishbone

Wishbone

It's 2021 and everyone is either 'narcissistic' or 'toxic'. Really, you sound like a pretty typical young kid to me and time is what teaches you to be kinder or more understanding, especially when you first start getting hurt or losing things you want or love, that'll ground you pretty quick. But yeah, I don't know what your personal habits are but I'd say you sound like the majority of kids that fill the pubs these days and most of them boost themselves with drugs and alcohol and then fall to pieces more privately. So I'd say no, you don't need a label it's just a case of growing up (but you're 22 so don't forget to enjoy yourself while you can too).