• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Am I likely to have another episode if I come off meds?

M

milly

April 2010 - First psychotic episode.

Diagnosed with schizoaffective which I don't think is correct. I think my first diagnosis of schizophrenia might be correct but since I have not had an episode since is it likely I might never have another?

I tried to come off meds twice with issues of mood and anxiety and I think that was withdrawals and did not warrant a re-diagnosis of schizoaffective, bipolar.

Gajolene

Gajolene

Why do you think your diagnoses is incorrect? What do you disagree with? If you do go off your meds it's quite possible you may relapse into another mania or back into paranioa/rage symptoms. I wouldn't try it on your own, talk to your doctor about withdrawing safely. But chances are they will encourage you to stay on if they are working to stop your negative symptoms.

shaky

shaky

Diagnosed with schizoaffective which I don't think is correct. I think my first diagnosis of schizophrenia might be correct but since I have not had an episode since is it likely I might never have another?

I tried to come off meds twice with issues of mood and anxiety and I think that was withdrawals and did not warrant a re-diagnosis of schizoaffective, bipolar.
What are you actually taking?

Back in 2009 I was put on quetiapine which is anti-psychotic and a mood-stabiliser.
I weaned myself off this over 3 years. But everytime I dropped the dosage I had wild mood swings - a result of the brain over-compensating for taking the drug
To come off an anti-psych or mood stabiliser you need to be thinking of many months slow reduction. Then it can be done.

S

seriouslydisturbed

Get the liquid abilify then you can do a better taper. You should try and come off because then you know where you stand with this. If it is bipolar and not schizophrenia you have the option of mood stabalizers.

M

milly

What are you actually taking?

Back in 2009 I was put on quetiapine which is anti-psychotic and a mood-stabiliser.
I weaned myself off this over 3 years. But everytime I dropped the dosage I had wild mood swings - a result of the brain over-compensating for taking the drug
To come off an anti-psych or mood stabiliser you need to be thinking of many months slow reduction. Then it can be done.
Took 5mg for a couple of years but dose had to be upped to 7.5mg due to depression. I am really pissed off I can not get off this stupid med :cry:

S

seriouslydisturbed

You said you upped your dosage because of depression. Are you sure its not the meds causing the depression. I was on 15mg Abilify and it was causing me severe depression. I can't wait to ditch these meds there awful.

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED

It's so difficult to know, & very difficult to separate out what is really going on, with underlying condition & medication issues.

i spent 15 years battling with it all before accepting the diagnosis/medication.

Some people do successfully get off medication, & others don't. Suppose the only way to know is to try? But of course no one can say if you will have another episode? You may do, or you may not.

If you are going to try then it's best to get as much support as possible, do it as carefully as possible, as fully informed on all these areas as you can be, & be willing to reintroduce the medication/seek help if needs be.