Am I just being paranoid??

O

Obessionfromwithin

I currently have a bad back due to slipped disked, my gp did try to sign me off but I can not afford this and asked for a amended duties fit note instead. I am now on my second of these, obviously since this has happened I have not been able to complete my job at my normal standard, I work in a supermarket and usually lift heavy items during each shift. However now some of my colleagues are beginning to get funny with me, the first instants was when someone told my manager they saw me lifting heavy pet food outside of work, I only have a cat and I don't buy her food in the store I was apparently saw lifting.
Also whenever I come in at the start of my week which for me is not Monday 😊 I get told about what so & so said about my back or well when so & so had a slipped disked they weren't allowed to work ect. The last thing that has me really convinced that they are all turning against me and talking crap behind my back and saying that I'm lying is the fact that the one who seems the do the most talking about what everyone has said refused to help me today even though I only I asked if she was going to be in the area I was in would she pull my cage (as I can not) and she replied with well I have told him I'm not pulling cages so I'm not pulling cages. A simple no I'm busy so I can't would have been fine, but it felt like she was saying how dare you ask me to help you.
I know it hard to tell from a little bit of writing a situation but any input is greatly appreciated.

M

MarlieeB

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Hey :)

I say you are doing the right thing as from what I have heard from people who have had the same injury, it's better to keep on moving instead of totally resting it.

I also have a dodgy back that goes on me at least once, a couple of years. Of course no where near to the pain and discomfort you must be in.

I also work in a supermarket and it is a hive for people gossiping in my opinion. I dread to think what has been said about me over the three months I've been off lol.

Unless they make written statements stating they have seen you and have evidence (which they don't) then try your best not to worry about it. They should be glad you are at work, even if you can't do things to the normal standard cause it would of caused a hell of a lot more work for them if you went off sick.

Marliee x

M

Meredithmay

Hi obsessionfromwithin,

It sounds as though you are between a rock and a hard place just now. If you are signed off you will loose the much needed money and if you turn up to work but are unable to fulfil your usual duties your colleagues resent you and become mischievous. Could you enlist the help of a Manager to mediate this situation - or could you ask for an alternative duty which does not involve lifting and therefore does not involve other colleagues. Could you work on a till or behind a counter? It seems unfair that you have to try to manage this situation on your own so asking for assistance may be the way forward.

I wish you luck with this. Mm x

O

Obessionfromwithin

Hi and thank you Marilee I know for some reason supermarket colleagues have a special skill for gossip and back-stabbing.
Mm for some reason my manager has just changed my duties is on the department when I work and that I have to wait for occupational health to see me which won't be until mid April before they are able to move me to another department
Xx

M

MarlieeB

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I work for the big T.

When someone has an amended sick note or need amended duties, if the person feel that they can't do the job after the adjustments have been put in place, then they need to sit down with the personal manager and discuss.

I know it's not the same but when I return to work after being off for 3 months I will be on a totally different department (my line manager is a major trigger)

Have you got a personal department or are you part of the union?

x

O

Obessionfromwithin

Plus I dread to think what my colleagues would say if I did sign off
:panic:

O

Obessionfromwithin

I'm part the union never even thought of contacting them... Thing are funny with manager ATM moment as they are all changing roles, leaving or arriving so don't know who to go to ��.
Gosh that must be awful I had similar issues with an ex manager who I though was out to harm me I hope I all gets sorted for you xx

M

MarlieeB

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I think we work for the same company.

Go to your union rep, they will be all clued up in these situations and if not they can contact their boss.

Then you can arrange another meeting with your rep to discuss the situation going forward.

x

Last edited:
O

Obessionfromwithin

Thank you so much you have managed to make me feel a load better about the situation :) xx

M

MarlieeB

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Let us know how you get on will you :)

I'm also from North Somerset myself :)

x