• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Am I incapable of being an adult? Whats wrong with me?

O

Odd_campr83929

The way I grew up SEEMS to have made me excessively paranoid as an adult about things most arent paranoid about.

But the true cause of me being excessively paranoid about those things is up for debate.

In any case, I am certain that there is a strong possibility that I am incapable of being an adult. I have accomplished no great feats so far and I feel down and have for years about it. I graduated high school entirely through cheating in the classes requiring complex thinking (math, science, etc).

I suspect how I was raised to be why I am someone who has made mistakes all adults are expected to not make. I also suspect I may have some form of autism. I took an autism test and it says i show no signs of autism. I dont know if it is my paranoia about possible karma combined with my bitterness about how little ive accomplished or if its merely me having autism causing me to be too attached to things that won't support my adult life.

I believe that karma may exist which is one source of pain i have. The other source is bitterness about how little ive accomplished at my age.

I do so much more simple thinking than complex thinking. Anyone know whats wrong with me?

00Bluejay7500 (was Scapes1986)

00Bluejay7500 (was Scapes1986)

I’m sry you are going thru this. I have suffered severe paranoia myself. I suspected my adhd was the cause but later found out it was depression and an unhealthy life style causing these symptoms.

have you asked your doctor about your symptoms? He can help get you your answers. It might not be autism that is causing this but something else.

O

Odd_campr83929

I’m sry you are going thru this. I have suffered severe paranoia myself. I suspected my adhd was the cause but later found out it was depression and an unhealthy life style causing these symptoms.

have you asked your doctor about your symptoms? He can help get you your answers. It might not be autism that is causing this but something else.
I have yet to ask my doctor. Will do so next visit. Thanks for the input.

A_Wilted_Daisy

A_Wilted_Daisy

I also did poorly in school and barely graduated. I had a hard time keeping up in classes like math, science, and geography. I've worked jobs that didn't require much skill. I'm unemployeed at 42 years old. (To be honest, I've been unemployeed for a long time now.) I've always lived with my parents. They own their own home and pay for everything. I live like a teenager. It's embarrassing to admit these things. I've never traveled or experienced life; I have no desire to. The world is such a big, scary, dangerous place. :cry: I think I'll always be like a naive child, needing others to take care of me.

O

Odd_campr83929

I also did poorly in school and barely graduated. I had a hard time keeping up in classes like math, science, and geography. I've worked jobs that didn't require much skill. I'm unemployeed at 42 years old. (To be honest, I've been unemployeed for a long time now.) I've always lived with my parents. They own their own home and pay for everything. I live like a teenager. It's embarrassing to admit these things. I've never traveled or experienced life; I have no desire to. The world is such a big, scary, dangerous place. :cry: I think I'll always be like a naive child, needing others to take care of me.
If what you say is true then you have my sympathy. Is it okay if I ask why you're in such a position?

A_Wilted_Daisy

A_Wilted_Daisy

If what you say is true then you have my sympathy. Is it okay if I ask why you're in such a position?
My parents coddled me growing up. We never went anywhere. I wasn't motivated in school and I never got disciplined, so I goofed off a lot. I actually did well at work. I stayed at my first job (a campground) for 2 years until they decided to close that year for the winter. I stayed at my next job (a hotel desk clerk) for 10 years. I got laid off when the owner decided to abandon the property and the bank took control. I never called in sick, I was never late, and I always completed my tasks ASAP. Around that time, I was on the verge of a breakdown. My depression and OCD were out of control and I was barely functioning. I went to therapy for a year and that ended when the therapist left. I was sent a letter saying they'd contact me with a replacement, but no one contacted me. That was fine with me; I didn't feel like I got proper help there. Unfortunately, with little money and no insurance, my only option had been the local Community Services Board. As an adult, people still treat me like my parents do. People who meet me feel a need to look out for me, so I haven't had to worry about doing hard things. I look and behave like a younger person, too. I'm a slow learner and I hate starting new jobs, which is why I stayed at the two I had for so long. I don't have the motivation to work now. I hope that will change, but it's been such a long time... And with this pandemic, things are so much worse.

O

Odd_campr83929

My parents coddled me growing up. We never went anywhere. I wasn't motivated in school and I never got disciplined, so I goofed off a lot. I actually did well at work. I stayed at my first job (a campground) for 2 years until they decided to close that year for the winter. I stayed at my next job (a hotel desk clerk) for 10 years. I got laid off when the owner decided to abandon the property and the bank took control. I never called in sick, I was never late, and I always completed my tasks ASAP. Around that time, I was on the verge of a breakdown. My depression and OCD were out of control and I was barely functioning. I went to therapy for a year and that ended when the therapist left. I was sent a letter saying they'd contact me with a replacement, but no one contacted me. That was fine with me; I didn't feel like I got proper help there. Unfortunately, with little money and no insurance, my only option had been the local Community Services Board. As an adult, people still treat me like my parents do. People who meet me feel a need to look out for me, so I haven't had to worry about doing hard things. I look and behave like a younger person, too. I'm a slow learner and I hate starting new jobs, which is why I stayed at the two I had for so long. I don't have the motivation to work now. I hope that will change, but it's been such a long time... And with this pandemic, things are so much worse.
Wow. Have you tried any medication?

S

squizofrenia123

I was living at home like a prisoner. I can't drive and lived in L.A. Now, I am free but have to work and fend for myself. The psychdoc said I can't be on disability because as long as I take medication I'm ok. Whatever!! Life is hard but doing everything by myself is a chore at times. I'm surviving though but wish I had a supportive family. My family is at best dysfunctional. I call them and my mom talks about her problems while not listening to mine. So, I realized my problems don't count to them. I just have learned to deal with it on my own. I will be ok and could be bitter. I just am resigned and feel happy I can survive on my own.