• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Am I hearing or not???

S

sleeplessinuk

Hi, what i've been getting lately is severe anxiety but only once I go to bed. Then through all the panic, I feel as if I am hearing my thoughts before I'm thinking them....if that makes sense?
Like last night, while my mind was racing with all the fears I have I heard "need to stop drinking" and I heard other stuff but I can't remember because my memory is so terrible lately that it's a miracle I remember anything at all!
But, what i'm saying is I didn't think that so am I hearing a voice or is it like my subconcious or something? Everytime I hear something else being said (usually just a word) I end up shouting "stop it!" because I'm scared that it is voices and i'm ill.
I'm rather confused over the whole thing...
:confused:

unlucky

unlucky

Founding Member
I don't know if its the same but when I'm really really tired - like just now cos I'm averaging 3 hours sleep per night I hear music and strange thoughts in my head and think I hear voices but when I mentioned it to my psych he said not to worry about it cos it was just exhaustion that was causing it. Its always when I go to bed too and I used to tell my partner because I was certain that these noises were outside my head, now I just keep quiet!! Hope that eases your mind a bit because when it started with me I was terrified I was getting really bad.

S

sleeplessinuk

Thanks unlucky. I do always find myself worrying over it more when i'm tired. I suppose it's probably sleep deprivation causing slight hallucinations....
I am on a waiting list to see a therapist so i'll discuss it with him/her when I finally get an appointment.
Until then, it helps to know that i'm not the only one worrying over this :)

jax

jax

There are hallucinations you can have on falling asleep or waking up. They are quite common. . . . . . .

hypnagogic

It may be what you are experiencing.
Jacqui

Cal

Cal

Founding Member
hey, i get that sort of stuff quite a lot, normally when i'm in bed (usually just starting to get tired but still far from sleep) i've had it where it's thoughts in my head but as though they're not mine, sorta like they're being said in my head, sometimes it's audible and that tends to freak me out especially if i'm outside cos it's always at night (although i do tend to sleep in the day and stay up nights) but on a couple of occasions i've had weird things like feeling a hand on my back or quite recently a very vivid image (eyes open) of a mouthful of teeth like a cross between a shark and a crocodile, if anyone knows mortal kombat a lot like baraka's on the recent games