• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

am i hearing a voice?

B

bigbadsam

Founding Member
i've had along running problem with self harm (nearly 10 years) and have thought recently i may be hearing voices. i often have long-running dialogues in my head with "myself" but have recently questioned whether or not these voices are my own. why would i be telling myself to do sch hurtful things? maybe it's someone else...

D

Dollit

I know when I self harm I argue with myself in my head to stop and I don't consider that to be hearing voices, it's me trying to rationalise behaviour I know I shouldn't really be doing.

lucid scream

lucid scream

does it matter, when we here an uncontrollable voice telling us to harm ourselves, if its your own or someone elses? the problem is that it compells us to harm us. who it is only seems like an important ditinction, in the end, resisting the urge is what matters.
trick for me is to find something to do, preferrably positive, till the thoughts pass. i wash the dishes, do some laundry, or clean something. it clears my head, somehow.

yakuza

yakuza

Founding Member
Hi bigbadsam,

I recently watched a television programme late at night which spooked me and in turn activated a 'fear response' and I began to hear a voice (which spooked me even more).
The only way that I can deal with this kind of situation is to try and evaluate what has actually happened;it was my own fear,a repeat episode of fear that had caused this psychosis experience.
When I realised what had actually happened I calmed myself down and dealt with it by playing some music through my headphones.

I think many people find that distractions can be extremely helpful with this,there are many ways to distract oneself; music,keeping a diary,talking to people,exercise or even watching comedy stuff on tv.

I would suggest you make an appointment with your GP and hopefully he/she may be able to point you in the right direction.

Good luck with everything (y)

B

bigbadsam

Founding Member
thanks for the support everyone :)