• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Am I having OCD?

T

thomas80s

I believe that I have OCD, but sometimes I have doubt.

One example is, I know many people, when they get a new smartphone they will care about it so much, before they pay, they will check around very carefully to see if there is any mark or scratches.. if they drop their
new phones to the ground, they will feel so bad even if the phone still working.

I understand them, because it once happened to me, but this doesn't happen to me now, today I am okay if a phone is with some scratches if it's hidden somewhere, I am not okay if it's full of scratches on the screen. It makes sense because no one will feel okay you get a new phone full of scratches on day 1.

But I once (many years ago) got a new mobile phone, I felt so bad because its screen was very slightly scratched and I remember that I DID NOT enjoy the new phone totally and was hesitating if I should return or replace it but I just didn't want the people to think that I was wired to replace a phone with such minor cosmetic problem.

I remember that at that time, after probably a month I started to feel better and reduce thinking about the minor cosmetic problem of the phone.

Today I still love and enjoy a new phone, but why my old day's feeling is gone because I understand that 1. I will not use it forever, then I am okay 2. It is unavoidable, then I am okay.

However, I still have something that I don't feel okay. Although I am a mature adult now, I still like to collect kind of toys and figures, I enjoy this hobby but at the same time I found that I am experiencing obsessive thoughts again. I spend a lot of time and effort to keep them unnecessarily perfect and perfect. But this is not enjoyable, this is very tiring. I am aware of my problem, but I am unable to get rid of this feeling while letting only the fun stay.

Maybe you would ask, why don't I apply my "principle of mobile phone" to my toys so that I will not feel this bad? The difference is what I believe. I believe that my toys can last a very long time, not a few years, I believe that keeping my toys perfect is possible, but I need to bring my phone around and outside every day so keeping my phone perfect is impossible.

I'd like to emphasize that I understand the perfection I am looking for is quite unnecessary. No one will notice the difference, I don't even notice the difference with naked eyes, but the difference is in my mind that doesn't go away.

Sorry if I have elaborated my situation too lengthy and difficult to understand. However, I hope you will read me

H

hairybanana

I think what you’ve described is actually pretty normal behaviour for people. I’m not a big phone person but I’m sure you’d be in the majority with your responses to breakages etc there

Hobbyists and collectors tend to be particular about their collection, I also think that’s pretty normal behaviour too

If you’re bothered by the behaviours or thought patterns, do you think it might be worth seeing your GP or a therapist? Perhaps therapy could be an opportunity to learn some coping strategies?

My experience with OCD is that I will repeat a physical action over and over despite the pain it causes me. I can not stop the behaviour. It gets a lot worse during periods of high stress and anxiety. But I do not have severe OCD, it is only mild, for some it is extreme and can interfere with every day life to a crippling degree

A

Archipelago

One qualifier for OCD is how much time the obsessive thoughts and compulsions take out of your day, and how much distress they cuase. These are just some questions for reflection, not necessarily to answer in this thread:

1. Would you say the time thinking, and time acting, on the toys is on the order of minutes per day, a couple hours, several hours, etc.?

2. Is the seeming OCD specific to that one thing, or do obsessive thoughts and actions appear in other areas of your life too?

3. Do the thoughts and actions become worse when you feel stressed?

T

thomas80s

One qualifier for OCD is how much time the obsessive thoughts and compulsions take out of your day, and how much distress they cuase. These are just some questions for reflection, not necessarily to answer in this thread:

1. Would you say the time thinking, and time acting, on the toys is on the order of minutes per day, a couple hours, several hours, etc.?

2. Is the seeming OCD specific to that one thing, or do obsessive thoughts and actions appear in other areas of your life too?

3. Do the thoughts and actions become worse when you feel stressed?
Thanks for raising these questions. I am going to think and answer it shortly.