Am I happy or manic?

• Thread starter Sadkittygirl1928
  • Start date
Sadkittygirl1928

Sadkittygirl1928

When I feel super happy and I want to start eating better, going to the gym and taking care of myself, find religion/god/spirituality, I can't tell if Im just manic. I can't keep up with it, it comes in cycles with depression. I will start doing all these great things and get motivation and then it only lasts 2 or 3 weeks and become depressed and it all stops. I feel motivated again, but I don't even want to try and better myself with a diet and working out and hobbies if it's only manic and it's just going to go away in a few weeks. Im also experiencing heightened anger, violent behavior, and impulsive shopping. I desperately want to just stick to a healthy routine, I want to find a religion, lose weight, stay invested in hobbies and eat well but it only happens in cycles.

M

missme

When I feel super happy and I want to start eating better, going to the gym and taking care of myself, find religion/god/spirituality, I can't tell if Im just manic. I can't keep up with it, it comes in cycles with depression. I will start doing all these great things and get motivation and then it only lasts 2 or 3 weeks and become depressed and it all stops. I feel motivated again, but I don't even want to try and better myself with a diet and working out and hobbies if it's only manic and it's just going to go away in a few weeks. Im also experiencing heightened anger, violent behavior, and impulsive shopping. I desperately want to just stick to a healthy routine, I want to find a religion, lose weight, stay invested in hobbies and eat well but it only happens in cycles.
You definitely describe some of the symptoms I had when I was manic and if you notice cycles, in my humble opinion it sounds like mania

N

Nina998

Sounds manic to me. Same thing happens with me when I hit high, I start eating healthy and exercising. Also impulsive shopping and irritation and violent thoughts.

P

Pigsyjug

I agree this sounds familiar to when Im experiencing mania.

Sadkittygirl1928

Sadkittygirl1928

is there anything I can do about it? I want to be healthy and happy more frequently not so manic

Y

Yodagirl

Sounds like mania to me. Are you taking a mood stabilizer? If so I would suggest contacting your psychiatrist or primary care doctor and see if they need to adjust the dosage. Best of luck! 😊

megirl

megirl

The swings in mood does sound similar to my experience of bipolar.
From one extreme to another.
The main thing I would suggest is make an appointment to see your doctor

N

Nina998

Yes, the medication is the first and most important thing. However there are other things too you can try to manage manic symptoms.

1. Sleep is the key factor. Go to bed early and try to do something relaxing before that like taking a shower or some breathing or mindfulness exercise. If you have medication for sleeping or anxiety, use it.

2. Try to manage your urge to do things. Do things but try to do them calmly and avoid excess. Like if you want to exercise, you can exercise but only once a day. Two times is too much.

3. Have little breaks during the day. Every time you accomplish something have a little break to relax before starting another task. It should slow you down.

4. Stay away from people. At least for me talking and meeting people really makes my head spin. So avoid people.

5. No alcohol or drugs.

6. If you feel like losing control use TIP skills. T: change your body temperature with cold water or ice. I: intense exercise, climb the stairs fast or jump up and down. P: paced breathing. Breathe in to the count of five, hold then breathe out count of seven.

Those six things I could come up with. Please add your own tips here. These could be useful in managing manic episode.

P

Pigsyjug

Yes, the medication is the first and most important thing. However there are other things too you can try to manage manic symptoms.

1. Sleep is the key factor. Go to bed early and try to do something relaxing before that like taking a shower or some breathing or mindfulness exercise. If you have medication for sleeping or anxiety, use it.

2. Try to manage your urge to do things. Do things but try to do them calmly and avoid excess. Like if you want to exercise, you can exercise but only once a day. Two times is too much.

3. Have little breaks during the day. Every time you accomplish something have a little break to relax before starting another task. It should slow you down.

4. Stay away from people. At least for me talking and meeting people really makes my head spin. So avoid people.

5. No alcohol or drugs.

6. If you feel like losing control use TIP skills. T: change your body temperature with cold water or ice. I: intense exercise, climb the stairs fast or jump up and down. P: paced breathing. Breathe in to the count of five, hold then breathe out count of seven.

Those six things I could come up with. Please add your own tips here. These could be useful in managing manic episode.
What a cracking bit of advice Nina998....I will be putting TIP into practice for sure x

Sadkittygirl1928

Sadkittygirl1928

5. No alcohol or drugs.

thank you so much, really so helpful