• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Am I Experiencing Psychosis?

Y

Yemmy23

Hello. I was hoping to share my experiences and symptoms today in hopes that someone may be able to relate, or tell me whether or not I could be experiencing some kind of psychosis/have a mental disorder. I’m really scared, and I don’t want to bring this up with my husband quite yet.

I was working on some paperwork in my quiet office alone, when I suddenly heard someone shout my name, as if they were on the other side of my window. It startled me, and I looked all around the building to see if someone was near. It sounded so real.

The previous night, I was testing for a school program. It was silent in the room for the most part. About 2/3’s of the way through my test, I began to hear a buzzing/vibrating noise, as if someone’s phone was on “silent” and was receiving a call. It really ruined my focus, and I heard it more when I was trying to sleep that evening, keeping me awake.

I had gotten head lice from a friend about 7 years ago and struggled for a long time to get rid of it. It really made my head itch, and to this day, I have the sensations that bugs are falling off of me/crawling around my scalp. It has caused me to itch.

Finally, my temper has gotten much worse. When my husband and I have argued in the past, he has told me that I have said things that I have no recollection of saying, most of the time they make no sense.

Those are my top concerns. I am still hearing the buzzing noise. I have seen flashes of light, I have seen and heard figures occasionally when I was younger (this is not so prominent today). I know that mental disorders are common among my mom’s side of the family. I was not sure if I am reading too much into these occurrences and this is all just daily stress talking. It is affecting my relationships. I appreciate any and all help, thank you.

Memememememememe

Memememememememe

Well I've been diagnosed that I got a psychosis and I experience stuff like that all the time but it could be that yours is just stress, I'm not sure.

Lunar Lady

Lunar Lady

Forum Guide
Hi @Yemmy23 and a warm welcome to the forum :welcome:

I have experienced similar things to you but I do not have Psychosis.

Lack of sleep with me can bring on auditory hallucinations such as the door bell ringing...or my son calling me...or I hear random snippets of conversation as if someone has just turned the radio up. Also get the buzzing thing but I reach for my phone in my pocket and it’s not there, yet I can feel the vibration. Are you short on sleep or were you particularly tired when you experienced these things?

If this starts to happen frequently, talk to your doctor to put your mind at ease.

Wishing you all the best and so glad you’ve joined us x

Y

Yemmy23

Hi @Yemmy23 and a warm welcome to the forum :welcome:

I have experienced similar things to you but I do not have Psychosis.

Lack of sleep with me can bring on auditory hallucinations such as the door bell ringing...or my son calling me...or I hear random snippets of conversation as if someone has just turned the radio up. Also get the buzzing thing but I reach for my phone in my pocket and it’s not there, yet I can feel the vibration. Are you short on sleep or were you particularly tired when you experienced these things?

If this starts to happen frequently, talk to your doctor to put your mind at ease.

Wishing you all the best and so glad you’ve joined us x
Thank you so much for the detailed response. It really helps a lot. I get 5-6 hours of sleep typically but this past week I have felt pretty exhausted. I’m glad I was able to join this forum and talk to people with similar experiences. I will be sure to bring this up with my doctor if it begins to get worse. Thank you again!

Y

Yemmy23

Well I've been diagnosed that I got a psychosis and I experience stuff like that all the time but it could be that yours is just stress, I'm not sure.
The bug-crawling sensation has been with me for a long time, but the auditory stuff is very new. Thank you for your input. I’m sure it is just stress for me.

GhostOfLenin

GhostOfLenin

Hello. I was hoping to share my experiences and symptoms today in hopes that someone may be able to relate, or tell me whether or not I could be experiencing some kind of psychosis/have a mental disorder. I’m really scared, and I don’t want to bring this up with my husband quite yet.

I was working on some paperwork in my quiet office alone, when I suddenly heard someone shout my name, as if they were on the other side of my window. It startled me, and I looked all around the building to see if someone was near. It sounded so real.

The previous night, I was testing for a school program. It was silent in the room for the most part. About 2/3’s of the way through my test, I began to hear a buzzing/vibrating noise, as if someone’s phone was on “silent” and was receiving a call. It really ruined my focus, and I heard it more when I was trying to sleep that evening, keeping me awake.

I had gotten head lice from a friend about 7 years ago and struggled for a long time to get rid of it. It really made my head itch, and to this day, I have the sensations that bugs are falling off of me/crawling around my scalp. It has caused me to itch.

Finally, my temper has gotten much worse. When my husband and I have argued in the past, he has told me that I have said things that I have no recollection of saying, most of the time they make no sense.

Those are my top concerns. I am still hearing the buzzing noise. I have seen flashes of light, I have seen and heard figures occasionally when I was younger (this is not so prominent today). I know that mental disorders are common among my mom’s side of the family. I was not sure if I am reading too much into these occurrences and this is all just daily stress talking. It is affecting my relationships. I appreciate any and all help, thank you.
J
I hear buzzing sounds, like low electricity. I hope you you

[/QUOTi

GhostOfLenin

GhostOfLenin

And dont beat yourself up. Ive been doing that for years. Most of us have an above average IQ soi think we will be fine xx

M

mandy125

Hello Ive been diagnosed as schizophrenic you said it runs in the family?
I hear all sorts of noises like car alarms turning in to mad whistling and scraping noises
It could be related to stress that's usually what triggers mine
Hope this helps all the best x