Am I even bipolar?

S

SadOne234

Hi all. I had a hysterectomy last December, which was a terrible experience with a doctor who ditched me to go on vacation and his backup doc was unavailable and I’d been newly on Buspirone for like a month prior. After the surgery, I did not sleep more than an hour a night for three weeks because of pain and the constant urge to go to the bathroom, which no one told me about. This I guess threw me into a manic episode and I couldn’t turn off my brain. I wrote a novel but wrote another one at the same time. It was so crazy. I had all sorts of strange thoughts and experiences I won’t go into but now I’ve been diagnosed as bipolar. One psych in the hospital, where I checked myself in, said so and put me on lithium, but I gained a ton of weight in a month, very upsetting for someone who lost a hundred lbs on her own. Another psych now switched me to latuda. And topomax. Can’t taste anything and I’ve been suicidally depressed and ready to leave my husband and quit my job. I feel hopeless for getting proper help. I’ve been depressed my whole life, chronic depression and GAD the typical diagnoses, but I’m not sure I’m bipolar or that it matters. I just need help and am losing faith that any doc or shrink or drug will cut it. I have been much worse since surgery. Hormone check shows they’re not to blame. Please help!

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

Forum Guide
hi welcome x we cant diagnose on here x but im sorry you are struggling
it sounds like you have been through a lot
I am glad you joined the forum I hope you find this place useful and supportive
love Lu xxxxx

megirl

megirl

Hi am sorry to hear you've gone through so much,
I know you will find this a great place to be

LadyDomino

LadyDomino

I had a full hysterectomy (the whole lot out) when I was 30. I'm 44 now, and was diagnosed 10 years ago as bipolar. I've been on many meds for the bipolar, but what the docs seems to have forgotten is that its not just eostrogen that we loose with a hysterectomy but testosterone too. I was briefly prescribed testosterone gel, and I felt physically and mentally so much better. But they took me off it due to a cancer scare. I don't know if testosterone levels show up in a hormone test - but its worth asking about.

I was also put on lithium which messed up my thyroid - so I was put on thyorixine which helped too.

Its worth asking about testosterone and thyroid levels.

S

SadOne234

Thanks all. I didn’t have ovaries removed. I’ve read online that you can still have hormone imbalance, but so far the gynecologist said that my hormones were fine. I still have blood work at my GP to hear back about. I am worried though about cancer also because my mother, who had an early hysterectomy due to fibroids, got breast cancer right after going on hormone replacement therapy. This was in the 90s though and maybe it was different. I’ve read online that you can still have hormone imbalance, but so far the gynecologist said that my hormones were fine. I still have blood work at my GP to hear back about. I just feel that nothing I’ve tried so far has made any difference and I am as depressed as I’ve ever been. More than I’ve ever been. To the point where I’m scared. And I feel like there’s just no hope or help. I’m taking my meds without missing a dose and seeing my shrink, but I’m tempted to start over with someone new and also get a new psychiatrist. I think the guy is useless. I tried to tell him how horrible I was feeling and he did nothing different. He gave me a supposed new med, deseryl, which I find out is just trazodone, which he already had me on. It’s like he didn’t know they were the same or was trying to make me think it was something different. This was his big solution when I told him how terrible I was feeling. Give me the same exact drug. And nothing for anxiety. I’ve had the worst anxiety I’ve ever had also. I don’t know which is worse, the depression or the anxiety. Anyway, thanks for the responses. And additional advice is most welcome.

S

SadOne234

I had a full hysterectomy (the whole lot out) when I was 30. I'm 44 now, and was diagnosed 10 years ago as bipolar. I've been on many meds for the bipolar, but what the docs seems to have forgotten is that its not just eostrogen that we loose with a hysterectomy but testosterone too. I was briefly prescribed testosterone gel, and I felt physically and mentally so much better. But they took me off it due to a cancer scare. I don't know if testosterone levels show up in a hormone test - but its worth asking about.

I was also put on lithium which messed up my thyroid - so I was put on thyorixine which helped too.

Its worth asking about testosterone and thyroid levels.

Thanks so much. Thyroid issues and cancer run in my family so I’m having that checked. I’ll ask about testosterone. The gynecologist said all that mattered was my FSH level, which was normal. Seems to depend on who you ask. Medicine I’m finding is quite subjective. Thx so much for the info and so sorry for all you’ve been through. We’re similar in age but I just had my hysterectomy. Can’t imagine having it as young as you were. That sucks. Sorry.