• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Am I entitled to claim dla

R

richie1231

Hi everyone. I spent last August and September in a mental health hospital and was diagnosed as having schizophrenia. I'm claiming ESA and have a claim in for DLA which is taking ages as DLA office are failing to contact my doctor, they claim to have sent out a medical request report 3 times. Anyway am I entitled to DLA I really want it but to be honest on the medication I'm well enough to go to work but would rather not to avoid the stress of finding decent work as I am unskilled.

I

IntrospectionFtw!

yh u are just make sure u fill the forms out right so u get the right amount of money ur entitled too, if ur under skilled/trained qualified id say work towards that...so if u do choose to come off it u can get a decent job.

C

coraline1664

Hi, good luck!
The form takes a while to fill out (it's about 40 pages now I think, was even more) but will definitely be worth it. I am registered disabled due to my mental illness, I was only just informed that being on DLA I was entitled to Employment and Support allowance as well (previously Income Support) I had never been told before.
I'm guessing that was what you were referring to by ESA. I heard that when you apply for ESA they put you through an assessment to see whether you are in the 'eligible to work' half or the half where you aren't expected to get back into work, and if you are considered eligible then you have to see an 'advisor' or whatever regularly to help prepare you. If you know, what sort of questions are asked?

Anyway, as I said good luck it should work out fine. I have found DLA a great help, I wouldn't be able to do without it.

E

R

richie1231

questions i was asked were how i was when i was ill, to count back from a hundred in seven's, a simple memory question with some objects the Dr had and what i did during my days.

P

phoenixx

i claim income support (lone parent) would i be entitled to claim dla? i have paranoid schzophrenia, and mild aspergers syndrome.. could i claim if i already claim for my son who is autistic?

T

Twylight

i claim income support (lone parent) would i be entitled to claim dla? i have paranoid schzophrenia, and mild aspergers syndrome.. could i claim if i already claim for my son who is autistic?
Yes, but it would be better if you claimed with the support of a CPN - to help you fill in the form