• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Am I depressed?

J

jimmy65

I don't know whats wrong with me. I think most people I know would not consider for a second that I may be depressed but I think I hide it from people. I share my feelings very rarely, even with my closest friends. I dwell on negative feelings and when I have a negative thought I thinks about possible worst case scenarios over and over, in the most exreme cases this can go on intensivly for days and days and sometimes longer though not as intense. While I don't ever consider suicide in the present, It does occur to me as an option when I play out these worst case scenarios in my head.

I have recently been made redundant (these feelings were present before this and I wasn't particulary enjoying my job anyway). While I want a new job, I lack motivation to actually do anything about it. I will sometimes go to bed at night absolutely determined to be productive the next day and then the next day I do very little at best.

I used to consider myself a very social person, and in someways I still am, but I am increasingly begining to feel inferior and distant from my friends. All of my close friends are now in relationships which means I see less of them and makes me feel lonely. While I think most people would consider me above average looks wise (though this is not always as I see myself) and I know others find me a very likeable person, I've been told numerous times that I would make a nice boyfriend. I haven't been in a relationship since I was 17, I'm now in my mid 20's.

Am I suffering from depression or am I using this as an excuse as to why I am un happy with my life is?

J

JETBOY

hello jimmy65

from what you say ,the way you feel etc ,it sounds typical of depression
but please dont forget im not the doctor ,just a sufferer for 43 years ,
dont let that frighten you ,i created the monster that i live with now ,you
sound like an innocent bystander ,i would have a chat to your gp and see
what he ,or she thinks ,keeping stuff to yourself is not good for you ,if you
continue to do this the darkness of depression will cover you and it will be
harder for you to climb out of that hole ,depression is very cunning it will take
away your self esteem ,and your emotions ,without you knowing ,it sounds
like youve got your head screwed on ,and to know whats happening to you is
a good siqn ,your young my freind ,do something about it now ,while you have
time and strength on your side ,you talk about a girlfreind ,saying youve not
had one for a while ,listen jimmy65 right now there is someone out there
looking for you ,calling your name ,since you were born, their search began
and one day you will hear that voice,and you will turn around ,and you
will know you belong together ,so see the doc jimmy65 so you look good when that day arrives .im may be strange in what i say to you ,but i do want the best for you my freind ,,,,,,,sincerely JETBOY

J

jimmy65

Thanks alot for your reply Jetboy, I really appreciate it. How old were you when you realised you had depression? Have you been treated?

It sounds strange but I'm not even sure what I would say to my GP if I were to go.

J

JETBOY

i was seven

hi jimmy ,i was seven ,just a little boy ,,i take a drug called litium now
but even through depression i have 2 girls grown up now ,and like i said to you a wonderful young blonde girl called out my name and weve been married 30 years now ,so i have had a life ,but it is very hard ,just tell your gp
what you have told us here ,no need to be frightened jimmy65,
dont have to live like i have ,,,just do it ,for yourself ,and your wife and children you dont even know yet ,,,,bless you jimmy65,,,,,,JETBOY

J

jimmy65

I don't think I can do it. I've been thinking about going to the doctors all night and I don't think I can.

Do you know of any alternative things I can do to help myself?

Thanks

Jimmy

J

JETBOY

mmmmmm

we,ll my freind ,i cant give to many pionters really ,
you could get some books on depression and see what you think then ,
or if your in the uk try ringing a mental health help line ,have a look on line
theres plenty that could help ,listen dont leave it to long ,theres nothing to
be afraid of ,like i say read about users on here see what you think
best wishes ,,JETBOY

J

JETBOY

dont be a stranger

i give my words freely jimmy 65 and would not normally ask for anything in return ,but may i ask one thing of you ,dont be a stranger let me know how
you go on ,otherwise even though or meeting was breif ,if you became silent
i would be concerned ,stay safe now ,,,,,,JETBOY

J

jimmy65

I appreciate your concern. I promise I will not do anything stupid. I do as you said have my head screwed on and I'm very aware of this situation that I may or may not be in. I will let you know how I move forward with this.

Jimmy

J

JETBOY

Thanks jimmy

your ok ,and ive enjoyed our little chat ,im gonna turn in shortly and listen
to some soothing rock musik ,it puts me to sleep ,,goodnight my freind
look after yourself ,you know were we are ,,,,,,best wishes KEN ,,,,JETBOY

trombone_babe

trombone_babe

Hi Jimmy, :welcome: to the forum. I think Jetboy's right, I think you need to see your GP. They will have seen this sort of thing many many times before. If you're worried about what to say, then write some things down and give it to the doc to read.

Can I ask how long you have felt like this?

J

jimmy65

Hi,

Thanks for your response. I was thinking about how long I have felt like this and I'm really not sure. I've only linked how I feel to depression for the first time a few months ago. But I think the feelings I have, have neen there longer.

Do you know what kind of questions the doctor might ask me? I found it hard enough writing down my symptoms let alone having to tell anyone.

Thanks again,

Jimmy

J

JETBOY

hey jetboy here again

jimmy ,the doc will ask about stuff like ,are you sleeping ,do you go out with freinds ,do you work ,are there things you used to do but dont do now ,
any number of general things ,you will more than likely be asked if youve thought of suicide ,do you feel tired ,worthless ,aches and pains
has there been any upset in your life ,your job loss for instance ,
any family trouble ,thats just a few ,hope they help ,im mean do you feel bored with life ,have you another job yet ,these are all big events what could be making you feel ilke this ,,,,,,,ok jimmy ,,,,JETBOY ,,KEN

J

JETBOY

SORRY

SORRY TROMBONE BABE DIDNT MEAN TO BUTT IN THERE how you doing ,,,,
JETBOY

trombone_babe

trombone_babe

Hi,

He may well ask how much you have felt down, about losing pleasure in things you normally enjoy, your sleeping and eating, things like that. He will probably ask, as I did, how long you have felt like that. He will almost certainly ask about any thoughts of harming yourself.

It might be worth reading up on depression and its treatments on something like the nhs website or netdoctor so you can go informed and ready to make choices if necessary. The usual thing seems to be to hand out antidepressants as waiting lists are so long for therapy, so if you don't want these, it's best to be prepared.

Don't be afraid to talk about things on here or to ask questions. We've all been there to some extent and understand what it's like.

I hope I've been of some help. :)