Am I Depressed?

B

bipolarbear9

Hi, I am bipolar and have Aspergers so although I feel I should know by now whats going on with me, I dont. Any opinions would be helpful.

I have just been out of the country for two weeks for a family wedding (my partners sister) and most of the people I met was for the first time so I was completely overwhelmed socially and sensory wise due to all the new accents, foods, sights etc. On the last few days I started to melt down; having huge panic attacks, locking myself away as much as possible and breaking down in tears, with a consistent low mood. I thought Id be happy once I got back home but nothing... still low, still panicking, still crying.
My first bipolar episode happened just after a long trip away and so I am worried about a relapse again.
Going to try to call my doctor today to explain but I'm worried I'm just being negative or over worrying.

Y

Yodagirl

Hi, I am bipolar and have Aspergers so although I feel I should know by now whats going on with me, I dont. Any opinions would be helpful.

I have just been out of the country for two weeks for a family wedding (my partners sister) and most of the people I met was for the first time so I was completely overwhelmed socially and sensory wise due to all the new accents, foods, sights etc. On the last few days I started to melt down; having huge panic attacks, locking myself away as much as possible and breaking down in tears, with a consistent low mood. I thought Id be happy once I got back home but nothing... still low, still panicking, still crying.
My first bipolar episode happened just after a long trip away and so I am worried about a relapse again.
Going to try to call my doctor today to explain but I'm worried I'm just being negative or over worrying.
Would definitely check in with your doctor. It sounds like bipolar depression, but I’m not a doctor of course. Are you currently on a mood stabilizer?

B

bipolarbear9

Would definitely check in with your doctor. It sounds like bipolar depression, but I’m not a doctor of course. Are you currently on a mood stabilizer?
Hi Brandi, thank you for replying!
I called the hospital yesterday and they have booked me an appointment for Monday morning but said if anything gets worse then I can go sooner.
I'm currently on lithium and a low dose of quetiapine, but recently got taken off a anti-depressant as they were worried about mania, but I havent experienced that at all since being on the lithium, just depression and self harm thoughts.
Again, thank you so much for taking the time to reply.

Y

Yodagirl

Hello, I’m glad they can get you in on Monday.Yes, anti-depressants can cause the onset of mania. I lived in a deep dark depression for years! I was recently put on lamotrigine as a mood stabilizer and it’s worked wonders for me. Depression is completely gone. Be sure to keep us updated on how it goes Monday.

B

bipolarbear9

Hello, I’m glad they can get you in on Monday.Yes, anti-depressants can cause the onset of mania. I lived in a deep dark depression for years! I was recently put on lamotrigine as a mood stabilizer and it’s worked wonders for me. Depression is completely gone. Be sure to keep us updated on how it goes Monday.
Hi! I saw the duty nurse at my psychiatric hospital today and they've prescribed me with Venlafaxine 75mg which I'm very happy with as that the only anti depressant I've tried that hasnt sent me manic. Only problem is I cant get it until Thursday and don't know if I should start taking it then as I'm in hospital over the weekend for observational tests for another possible condition.

JustMek

JustMek

Hello, I'm happy you got the good anti depressant :) I guess you should take it the sooner the better, so can you contact by telephone or by any other way to make sure it's okay? (that it doesn't interfere with you tests)