• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Am i causing my own physical symptoms?

S

Sophie_10

I am just wondering if anyone else experiences pins and needles from anxiety.

A few years ago I had a tingling in one arm that wouldnt go for about 2 days but never had it since. But today I keep getting slight pins and needles in my legs. I can't stop thinking about it which I'm sure is making it worse because I cant turn my head off.

I'm diabetic so know if i go doctor they will automatically go there as the problem but I've had similar with other symptoms.

Such as I was getting flashes in my eyes for a few days but after a few days and once I'd calmed down it went away.

I never know which symptoms are caused by anxiety cos even when I feel calm they can happen, I worry about it and of course it makes it worse but I dont know how to calm down! Which I think is all I need to do really.

Any help and advice would be very welcome. Sorry for rambling on!

C

celticlass

Well it is possible to get the pins and needles through anxiety, yes. Is your anxiety well treated do you think? Perhaps you are not yet sufficiently relaxed and a little tense. I think I would consider if any medication you take is currently doing its job. I take pregablin for mine for around one year now. I find it quite effective. Once you are confident anxiety is being addressed through medication or other means, then you can ask for other reasons for pins and needles to be considered. If possible, have someone beside you when you talk to a GP about this.

S

Sophie_10

Well it is possible to get the pins and needles through anxiety, yes. Is your anxiety well treated do you think? Perhaps you are not yet sufficiently relaxed and a little tense. I think I would consider if any medication you take is currently doing its job. I take pregablin for mine for around one year now. I find it quite effective. Once you are confident anxiety is being addressed through medication or other means, then you can ask for other reasons for pins and needles to be considered. If possible, have someone beside you when you talk to a GP about this.
Thankyou. I dont take medication for it, I only buy over the counter stuff at present like kalms. I have taken a dose tonight to see if it helps.

C

celticlass

Thankyou. I dont take medication for it, I only buy over the counter stuff at present like kalms. I have taken a dose tonight to see if it helps.
Okay. I have a friend {older male} who seems to swear by Kalms. He will say to me to take one each day at 4,30 p.m. lol. I have told him so many times I am on medication etc He is quite a character. I am a recovered alcoholic and met him at AA. Well I was complaining about my GP [I see a different one now} and he told me she was 'old school'. It seems she was ransacking through his bin one day checking for drugs! I suppose with yourself it will depend how often and how much you are anxious. Perhaps you could look at learning maybe meditation and or yoga as a natural means of staying level.

S

Sophie_10

Oh that's brilliant. Well done for going to AA too, I think that's amazing when people are able to do that. Blimey, I hope my doctors would never do that.

The problem I have is I will feel something, like I feel my heart going, then I have a niggle which my brain seems to run away with that theres something wrong with my heart. Which make me panic, which makes my heart go faster, which makes me worry more and I get myself stuck in a vicious cycle. Despite the fact I know it's all in my head and I'm almost causing it and theres is nothing wrong.

Knowing that strangely calms me down if I know it's an anxiety thing but in that moment I struggle if that makes sense. I have tried meditation but only to help me get to sleep. Perhaps I should do it more.