Am I being selfish

S

SelfRespect

I was watching BBC News interenet report involving a mum and her young daughter's mental health problems and although I could sympathise about it it made me think of when mental health problems reach adulthood. My daughter at 14 was diagnosed with anorexia by 17 her problems were over now she eats well and has not self harmed for a long time and I don't forsee any problems in the future thankfully. I was blamed by the child mental health services as I am a self harmer so it must be my fault regardless of the fact there were many youths there self harming who's parent did not.

The thing is my daughter while in psychiatric hospital received copious amounts of psychiatric and sociology support throughout with really helped her, as an adult there is nothing, all three times in have been sectioned I have just been shut inside for months on end with no imputation at all just the odd meeting to increase my stay for treatment but with no treatment actually offered. Are children's services been better funded than adults? I agree with early prevention and all that but there are people like me that it is too late for and need help, proper therapy help as well as our children. How an idea to support my children if I'm not supported myself?

Last edited:
antimatterTek

antimatterTek

That is a tough situation. I know my adult psych ward moved like molasses and god help you if you end up there on a friday. Then you are stuck with no docs for the entire weekend. But they did eventually help.

I guess it also depends on your health insurance. Psychiatric treatment can become very costly.

They have determined that mental illness is a genetic factor - it can be passed on to your children. Maybe you can talk to your daughter about how she got better and see if you can use some of the techniques/coping strategies could work for you. It could be some kind of help via proxy. I say talk to her about it.

S

SelfRespect

I don't have health insurance, I have the very wonderful NHS :) they used psychology in her hospital, mindfullnes. I was offered DBT but was told I didn't have enough commitment when I once forgot a homework and was kicked out, which I thought was unfair.

I just think therapy should be offered in adult psych hospitals rather than to be just locked up for months with absolutely no treatment even though you are on a treatment section.

H

Helena1

Staff Member on Leave
I don't think it is selfish, ideally adults would get much better treatment, but with the limited resources I would rather they concentrate on children's mh treatment than adults.

S

SelfRespect

I agree, to a certain extent, as in prevention is better than cure, so dealing with problems early is best, but I come from an area when problems in children were totally dismissed and when my mum took me to a child psychiatrist he said I was perfectly normal and there was nothing to concern herself with, funnily although, but not funny, he committed suicide a year later!! What I believe is that we need intensive treatment for the youth of today, but adults, especially those from a time like mine, i'm 51, need the treatment they were denied in their youth not to be just locked up and the key thrown away. When I was about 10 I sat by the medicine draw wanting to take everything I was sooo distressed, I was being seriously physically and mentally bullied both at school and at home, there is mountains of help, like there should be, for children but practically none for the adults bringing up these children. To really help these children recover you need to help the adults in turn. I really struggled to help my daughter as I didn't have the skills as I was not treated well myself.

AG