Am I being impulsive?

S

sunsetvalley

I've got a lack of self control, specially over food and spending money, but also in general. This makes me wonder sometimes if I'm making a right decision, or if I'm being impulsive. How do I differenciate between my lack of self control and my "normal" behaviour? Does anyone else feel like this?

For example: I want to pierce my nose, but I've been overthinking about it way too much because I don't know If it's something that my "impulsive self" wants me to do, and I'll regret it later. This happened to me once before I got a tatto, I made the decision impulsively and then I felt anxious and over the edge for days.

How do I know? am I overthinking this too much?

Cpt_Stunning

Cpt_Stunning

you're not overthinking, I have the same problem too, with anxiety irrational thinking can dominate, maybe sit down with pen & paper & work out what's best in the long term, I've been caught out very badly, not thinking about long term consequences of my actions.

megirl

megirl

I still have an issue with impulsiveness. I know I need to curb my spending but its like I see something I feel I can't do without it. Then I end up broke.
I have my rates that are so behind I always think ill have enough money when they're due but I end up spending on stuff I dont need. Its frustrating I've always been like this

G

Girl interupted

I still have an issue with impulsiveness. I know I need to curb my spending but its like I see something I feel I can't do without it. Then I end up broke.
I have my rates that are so behind I always think ill have enough money when they're due but I end up spending on stuff I dont need. Its frustrating I've always been like this
Same.

I call it binging.

Food, shopping, drink.

Used to be sex too, thank god that stopped.

S

sunsetvalley

you're not overthinking, I have the same problem too, with anxiety irrational thinking can dominate, maybe sit down with pen & paper & work out what's best in the long term, I've been caught out very badly, not thinking about long term consequences of my actions.
That's a good idea, and I actually sat down after I read your response and made the excercise with my "nose piercing desition" and from now, I see it as something that is not necessary impulsive, but It's making me feel anxious from the uncertainty and it's not something i really need, since i'm always on a budget. You definitely helped me today :thanks:

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
I am a serial spender and find it difficult to control. But was told to ask three questions before I buy

Do I want it.
Do I need it
Can I afford it.

And if you answer no to any of them you shouldn’t buy. It doesn’t always work but it makes you stop for a minute and think

S

sunsetvalley

I know right? to me it's the same, specially with food, makeup or clothes, I know I can't afford it, but I do it anyway and I end up not having enough money for other important things, like bus tickets or gas. It's so frustrating, it's even making me not see my friends that much anymore, because I can't afford to drink a coffee with them because I've spent all my money. :unsure:

S

sunsetvalley

Same.

I call it binging.

Food, shopping, drink.

Used to be sex too, thank god that stopped.
I'm glad that stopped too. <3

Yes, binging is the right term. I binge eat every single day, the only reason I stay fit is because I exercise, but apart from that's so unhealthy and I spend way to much money, it's becoming a problem. I used to drink impulssevely too, but I've been sober for a month now. I wish It could be the same with everything else. :(

S

sunsetvalley

I am a serial spender and find it difficult to control. But was told to ask three questions before I buy

Do I want it.
Do I need it
Can I afford it.

And if you answer no to any of them you shouldn’t buy. It doesn’t always work but it makes you stop for a minute and think
Thank you!! i think this is a great tip. I was told to count to 10 when I was trying to quit smoking and had an urge to a cigarette, this reminded me of that. Surprisingly it works sometimes.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
It doesn’t always work as I bought yet another Radley bag a couple of days ago. The daft thing is I rarely go out so they just sit upstairs unused. But I did stop myself from buying a camera as I won’t need it til, the summertime