• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Am I Being Bullied At Work?

S

Sall1

Founding Member
Currently I work in a in a big multi-disciplinary team and within that team are nurses, occupational therapist, speech therapist, etc. My little team that consist of the 3 of us was until recently, been led by someone who was a terrible manager but who was a lovely person. Anyway when this manager was around everyone made our little team the brunt of jokes. Now that he's left 4 weeks ago, this is continuing. I guess old habits die hard.

Everyday I go into work a fresh but by the end of the day I feel so demoralised and down by it all, by all of the little comments throughout the course of the day. There's just so much negativity around. On Wednesday one colleague who is incredibly negative anyway commented that our little team were unprofessional. That totally pi***d me off. Basically she's annoyed because we're higher paid than she is or at least will one day have the potential to be much higher paid. I'm getting really hacked of and am starting to dread going into work. One of my colleagues out of our team of 3 has applied for another job as she's so fed up with it all and I can't say i blame her. Perhaps I should do the same as my mental health is definately suffering because of it. I for one work hard and do the best tat I can do for the people who I see.

I don't want to be overly strong, but I feel bullied at work. I feel like tis but i'm also aware that I have mental health problems so perhaps i'm just yper-sensitive too???? I don't think so though. Does anyone else have any opinions about what to do?

D

Dollit

If you feel demoralised by these actions and somebody else wants to leave I think bullying is happening. Not all bullies are open or outwardly threatening, snide remarks and constant digging are just as bad. Do what you feel is necessary Sall.

Libra1

Libra1

Founding Member
Sall, I'm sorry to hear what is happening at work with you :( You must have a team leader/line manager or someone you could have an informal chat with and just explain how you feel. every employer these days especially Nhs/local govg have a responsibility of 'duty of care' to their employees. Please bring this to someones attention asap - unless you do so, sadly nothing will improve and only you and or other members will suffer. :(

When I was working a a FE college a few years ago (I was there 5yrs) and used to say hello/good morning as is 'normal' to almost everyone. A friend told me one day I had an admirer - totally unknown to me. Anyhow the 'admirer' started coming to the office where I worked, followed me into the dining room, sent me a birthday card. I had made no conversation with this person, he knew absolutely nothing about me or so I thought. He started parking outside my house, I had never ever spoken to this person. and I lived about 4 miles from work.
I started to worry/panic, not sleep at night, go sick from work and drink every night. One day at work, one of my tutors met me and asked what on earth was wrong with me. Well I burst into tears and spilt the beans.
I will always be grateful to her, I was dragged off to the Principals office and asked to tell my tale.
The admirer had obtained all my 'personal details' from a 'private and confidential' source and was stalking me. Needless to say it was stopped there and then, and an injunction was put on him, I was not his only victim:(
My experience is a bit extreme Sall, but yours is just as important and needs action now. Workplace bullying must be stopped :)

Take care Sall, and let us know how you get on :hug::hug:

S

Sall1

Founding Member
Thanks Dolit and Libra for your responses to me. I think what is coming through is that I am being bullied at work. From this I now know that i'm not going mad! I thought I was being bullied but I just couldn't be sure. It's subtle but it's there.

I'm going to start tto document everything that is happening and what is being said and then present it to my new line manager if it continues. I hate working in such a back stabbing and negative place. I've been there a few years now - maybe it's just time to move on.

Thanks again you guys

Sall
xx

Q

quality factor

Hi, from experience I've found out that bullying can be so subtle that you begin to wonder if you're imagining things and you turn it over and over in your mind. Other times it can be direct and distressing and you know for sure that bullying is taking place. Either way bullying is not acceptable.
Many bullies are jealous but at the end of the day are downright cowards for not having the guts to bring things out in to the open.
It is such a shame that one colleague has left and now your hand is being forced in to doing the same.
If you are not enjoying your job and you haven't got peace of mind then I would consider a move, however, I would not let the bully/bullies get away with it. As has already been said discuss it with your line manager and get the culprits dealt with. It may be painful for you , but necessary.
Good luck.