• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Am I attention seeker?

L

Lea

I have been wanting to have some kind of mental illness diagnosed. No one in their sane mind would want that for themselves, and yet i do. For one thing, I dont know why I self harm, i think it is to punish myself, usually after my family nags me (even if it is just for an stupid thing) or when my brother is doing something annoying. But the thing is that I kind of want people to know that i self harm without tellling. Its like i want them to tell some adult behind my back so that the adult takes me to a psychologist and the psychologist diagnoses me with anxiety or depression, or any other mental illness.

Desire less

Desire less

Hi Lea,

Your absoluty not an attention seeker.
People most times self harm when their overwhelmed with emotions and feel they have no control over these emotions.
Ofcourse you want people to know how you hurt inside....no one does self harm for fun.
Usually the behaviour comes from neglection of your needs while growing up.
Hope you find some people here to connect with.

Passionflower

Passionflower

How old are you?. You can go to your GP and get a referral on your own you know?

Wishbone

Wishbone

I have been wanting to have some kind of mental illness diagnosed. No one in their sane mind would want that for themselves, and yet i do. For one thing, I dont know why I self harm, i think it is to punish myself, usually after my family nags me (even if it is just for an stupid thing) or when my brother is doing something annoying. But the thing is that I kind of want people to know that i self harm without tellling. Its like i want them to tell some adult behind my back so that the adult takes me to a psychologist and the psychologist diagnoses me with anxiety or depression, or any other mental illness.
Hi Lea.
Do you actually suffer from anxiety or depression and it is this you wish to get help for but just don't know how to ask for it, or do you simply like the idea of having some problems in order to get the attention that you speak of?

lucynah

lucynah

I think that if someone is crying for attention, it means they probably need some kind of attention. And maybe that attention comes in the form of a doctors appointment.

I do not think you are wrong for wanting to know what is wrong with you. Healthy people do not self-harm. I think it's perfectly reasonable for you to want to know what it is that is prompting you to do these things.