• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Am I alone?

K

Kelly08

I think I am the only one that has this phobia, it is ruined my life.. I have a fear of getting lost and never being able to get home, 3 times I have booked a holiday and 3 time I have pulled out, but this time has really got me down, I booked my dream holiday to New York. I really thought I could do it this time but again I pulled out, the fear just took over me, I feel so low at the moment, I really don't no what to do any more can someone please help me understand or have similar phobias????

C

cally75

Hi Kelly & welcome 2 the group!
I can totally relate 2 this. Having 2 go to unfamiliar places is terrible. I can manage the city centre cos I know I can get home easily. Anywhere further is a no no!

K

Kelly08

Thanks cally74.. I just feel so down at the moment because I feel I have let so many people down, I should be in New York now but just couldn't do it.. Thanks again for the reply

*autumn*

*autumn*

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Hi kelly08 and welcome to the forum.
I don't think you're alone in this.
I don't think you've let people down; the only one person to take care of you, is you.
I'm not sure if this is the same thing, but when i travel on a train, i have a fear of not being able to know which side to get off, and even though logically it is simple, my fear consumes me and i can't think straight.

Per Ardua Ad Astra

Per Ardua Ad Astra

Hiya Kelly08

:welcome: to the forum.

No, you are not alone in this at all. I used to be very afraid of travelling around, even districts of my own hometown that I was not familiar with. I would rely on my family to do a 'rekkie' with me, and show me a bus route I had to take sometime before before the day I had to take the actual journey myself.

I was very afraid of getting lost, or stranded if I missed a bus. I get very anxious and uptight a lot, and if I was to lose my way or have to make alternative travel arrangements, it would make me worse.

Most local and familiar journeys I can handle now, but I choose quiet times on bus routes, and walk where I can, and I still call on family a lot for help.

I hope you get help with your fears :)

mark payne

mark payne

hey kelly i had the same phobia before 2 years i was afraid to out from home and lose my mind or my memory and dont know how to back, what i did is i took a paper i wrote my home adress in it and put it in my pocket and take it with me everywhere (problem solved)

B

bonobo

I didn't leave my house for 5 years due to agoraphobia, and have a big fear of getting lost xx

R

Rose19602

Hey Kelly,
Some good tips posted by Mark....that one's worth trying.

My advice would be to aim a lot lower than New York to start with. That would be a hard one to start with!

Think about which bits of a holiday scare you....the planning, the flight, being in a strange environment, the language, being away from home ??? Break it down and think about every last bit of it and which bits make you panic.

Once you know, start small with a day trip by coach in the UK or, if it's the overseas bit that scares you, a coach tour overseas for a week-end with an organised itinerary, so that you cannot get lost.

Make it small and something that doesn't worry you too much.

I think the key is to slowly increase confidence by very, very gradually facing your fears and making sure that each time you try something new, you end with a success which you congratulate/reward yourself for.

The thing with holidays is that they come once a year and are expensive....so the fear can build over the ensuing months. Try to counteract this by making yourself go somewhere in the UK - different area /town / shopping centre perhaps once a month or so. The only difference with going on holiday is the distance. A new town or shopping centre can be just as challenging as a holiday resort....and can take as long to get to!

What do you think? A counsellor could help you plan this.

C

cally75

Someone once said "there's nothing to fear but fear itself!

I do get really panicky if I have to go out. When I do, I get morning appointments so I go out soon as I wake so I don't have time to think about it, if that makes sense?!

Once I get out, I realise it's not as bad as I thought. We evolved from cavemen & the "flight or fight" response. But no dinosaurs in my area lately!
Try a little walk to the park early when nobody around

K

Kelly08

Thanks everyone for the comments, it's great to no that I'm not alone in this :) I have an appointment with a hypnotist tomorrow so hopefully it will help me over come this once and for all thanks again

Purple Chaos

Purple Chaos

Hi Kelly.

A belated hello and welcome to the forum.

I hope all goes well with your appointment tomorrow. Let us know how you get on.

R

Rose19602

Yes, I'd be interested to hear how you get on too.
Good luck
x